Defender Source Forum banner

Ignition Wiring

Tags
wiring
32K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Whalestep 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello,

My ignition switch died last week. I removed the wires going to it hastily so I could plug in a bypass to get the truck home. I have a new switch and even after searching I'm still unsure how to reinstall everything.

I have the following wires (5):
A. Red/ White: Goes to starter
B. Brown: From +12v hot
C. White/Black: to Fuel injector Pump cut off
D. Red: To Glow Plugs
E. White: +IGN wire

There are 5 Terminal spots on the switch, from testing the switch with a multimeter these are my assumptions:
1. Red/ White to starter solenoid
2. (Double Spade) Brown from +12v
3. White
4. Not Used
5. White/ Black?

My question is: Where does the Red Glow plug wire and the White Black wire go? Im pretty sure 2 is Battery + and 1. goes to the starter.

The switch looks like this:

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm searching for a detailed glow plug schematic, maybe that will help. Is the red wire to the glow plugs a switching wire for the glow plug module or a power line?

It looks like the glow plug module/timer gets a red white from the starter. So does that mean the glow plug system is drawing its power through the ignition switch? That sounds bad.

I'll plan on leaving the glow plug (turns out its red/ orange) wire off entirely for now. I suspect that it wasn't connected to begin with since I have the HD glow plug module and I'm pretty sure I would have used a hot + from my terminal strip.

That leaves me with White/ Black, and as long as that doesn't get power with the key in the off position it will do its job.

Thanks everyone :/

#5 ·
I'm searching for a detailed glow plug schematic, maybe that will help. Is the red wire to the glow plugs a switching wire for the glow plug module or a power line?

It looks like the glow plug module/timer gets a red white from the starter. So does that mean the glow plug system is drawing its power through the ignition switch? That sounds bad.

I'll plan on leaving the glow plug (turns out its red/ orange) wire off entirely for now. I suspect that it wasn't connected to begin with since I have the HD glow plug module and I'm pretty sure I would have used a hot + from my terminal strip.

That leaves me with Wht/ Black, and as long as that doesn't get power with the key in the off position it will do its job.

Thanks everyone :/
Oscar:
The workshop manual will give you the terminal numbers on the switch and identify the wire colors.
The white with red starter engagement wire that goes to the glow plug controller, cuts off the power to the glow plugs when the starter is being engaged.
In that way when the engine is warm and you don't wait for the glow cycle to finish, turning the key to the start position ends the glow plug cycle.
The glow plug controller closes a set of contacts that switches the current from the (+) brown circuit to the glow plugs for a predetermined time interval.

#3 · (Edited)
Well, the following did not work:

1. Starter (WHT/ RED)
2. Glow Plug & +12v (RED/ BROWN and BROWN)
3. IGN + (WHITE)
4. Not Used
5. Fuel Kill (WHT/BLK)

Actually heard a pop, like a fuse popping. Checked voltage at the brown wire and it read zero, not good. I don't think there are any fuses on the that line. Must be a burnt connector or wire, great.

#9 ·
Oscar:

Did you ever end up determining the proper location for the White/Black "Fuel Kill" wire? I'm assisting someone with a *similar* issue, and the current assumption (on my end) is that this Fuel Kill wire may have been piggybacked somewhere else in the wiring upstream (since it was actually a diesel conversion).

But regardless, trying to determine the proper placement for this wire (from a switch standpoint) to see if we can troubleshoot. If you sorted it out the correct wire/terminal# placement for the above please let me know.

Thanks!

#7 · (Edited)
They made a bunch of different ignitions. the earlier style had a spot in the switch for the glow plugs while the later years used a relay to energize the glow plug circuit.
Pretty sure the switch # breakdown for Defenders is as follows:

#579085 = early Defenders through ~1988, also *should* be the same as the SIII.

#PRC2735 = early Diesel Defenders (pre-200Tdi....though possibly some early 200's could have the above #579085 from what I've read)

#PRC8230 = 1989+ V8/200/300Tdi/Td5...so essentially the lions share of the Defenders we all come in contact with - and the switch that gives us all the most headaches.

The *official* parts manual lists them out as follows:

Petrol
579085 -> Up to FA415292
PRC8230 -> From FA415293

Diesel
PRC2735 -> [no vin range given....just described as "early 90/110s"]

200TDI & 300TDI (but also NAS 90s and later Td5s)
PRC8230 -> [no vin range given....but pretty sure this applies to Defender from FA415403 Petrol, and Diesel models 200/300Tdi/Td5 models]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.