Ignition Unit help? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 28th, 2012, 11:49 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Ignition Unit help?

I have 94 NAS D90 Salvage that I will be rebuilding to use as a trail truck. I have the original NAS ignition unit but no keys. I also have a new, genuine ROW, V8 ignition unit with new style keys and 2 matching door lock barrels for the later push button door handles I plan to fit. Will give me 1 key for the ignition and both front doors.

As a trail truck I could care less about the seat belt warning, etc. that runs off the key in sensor in the NAS unit I have no keys for. Problem is that I have to get a salvage rebuild inspection done on the truck when I go to put it back on the road and onto a normal title. For that all the safety stuff like seat belts, warning chimes, etc. needs to work. To make it work I need the NAS ignition unit with the key in switch.

So 2 options then (before I start taking them apart and break or lose something):

1. Is it possible to swap the lock barrel from the new ignition unit over to the old one? How does it come out?
2. Is it possible to swap the key in sensor instead from the NAS unit to the new one? How does it come out?

Pics of both units below. Anybody done something like this?

Thanks

Ian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ignition Switch.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	53656   Click image for larger version

Name:	Locks.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	53658  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 29th, 2012, 12:17 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Not answering your question, but what 94 salvage did you end up with?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old June 29th, 2012, 12:26 AM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
It's in my registry. Crispy, the ex-NY fire victim.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	d90%20project%20005.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	53660  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 29th, 2012, 08:20 AM
HeloBubba
Chris Murphy
'89 127 (D130), '16 LR4

Hi Ian,

I recently did the same swap from the old interlock/wired ignition barrel/steering lock to the newer style from the UK in my 97SW (auto box) without issue. (Also did it on my 94, but that one didn't have the interlock, as its a manual box.) You can just buy the switch on he back (the round thing wih the contacts on it), or you can swap them between barrels.

In order to remove and replace them, there are two small screws on the circumference. Once removed, the switch part comes straight out. These two small screws are why its such a pain to replace the switches while the barrel is still mounted to the steering under the instrument console. The are a few good threads on here with photos that Josh (Horsey) did a couple of years ago when swapping his.

As for the 97-style interlock part, as I understand it, that interlock is basically just a solenoid that won't let you remove the key unless the auto tranny is in park. I just make sure I'm in park when shutting the car off I'm not sure that actually does anything with the chime. My truck still makes "keys in the ignition chime" and door open with the new switch barrel, even with the new assembly.

Murph
'89 D110SW
'16 LR4

Former:
'97 D90SW - SOLD SEP '14
'94 D90ST - SOLD MAY '13
D90s sold while assigned overseas. You're welcome America!
'06 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
'8X FankenRover D100
Old June 29th, 2012, 03:11 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Hi Chris,

Thx but the switch part at the back is fine on both so no need to swap that over. The part I need to swap is the key barrel at the front. I donít have keys for the NAS unit. The sensor is in the top part (you can see where the wires come out on the NAS unit) that is crimped together as part of the main body and I am not sure what happens if I try and open it up. I presume the guts are interchangeable but don't know that for certain. I need the key in sensor to make the seatbelt chime and warning light work that is needed as part of the US safety equipment requirements. Itís got to pass a safety and re-build inspection before it will get back on the road.

If I can just swap the key barrel that would be the easiest thing. There is a blind roll pin to the side of it that I assume I could drill out but I am not sure if that alone would allow the barrel to come out. Normally you need the key to remove barrels and sometimes there is a clip or something at the back that holds it in.

Anybody done this or had one of these apart?

Thx

Ian
Old June 29th, 2012, 04:58 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

I think the most expedient & cheapest way to go (since you have the lock assembly off the '94) is to take that assembly to a reputable locksmith in your area, have them fit/ impression a key to it, get your inspection done using the old lock, and then replace it with your new lock(s) once the governmental approval is granted.
Old June 29th, 2012, 05:15 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Cool, that sounds like a plan. Thx Dennis.

Didn't know I could get a key made for it without having the key or the key numbers. Now I do.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions