Ignition switch - v8 to 2.5NA - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 23rd, 2014, 09:09 PM
oilburner
JL
large pile of parts

Ignition switch - v8 to 2.5NA

Can I swap the ignition switch electrical part only in a Defender ignition assembly to get the 4 positions instead of the 3? I have an early switch out of a 2.5 petrol 110 car and it seems like the switch has the 4 positions indicated but only 3 are used. It seems like the detents and spring return are in the electrical switch, so it looks like I could turn this into a diesel assembly (and control the glow plugs for my diesel through it) without swapping the switch out.

Thanks

JL
Diesel-swapped 1994 80 series Land-cruiser
And a difflocked 4wd turbodiesel Lambo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 23rd, 2014, 11:56 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Does the 2.5 switch fit in the V8 ign. housing ?

With the V8 switch removed, does the ign. lock assmb. turn freely (turn the key)
to accommodate the 4 positions ?
Old September 24th, 2014, 06:32 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

I think on the newer diesel switches the switch clicks into the position that supplies power to the relay/timer for the glow plugs. On the older switches there is a position that you have to hold forward to get the glow plugs power and then the final position to turn the starter motor. Some of the guys have direct wired the glow plugs to a switch to regulate how long they want the plugs to operate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 24th, 2014, 08:43 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilburner View Post
Can I swap the ignition switch electrical part only in a Defender ignition assembly to get the 4 positions instead of the 3? I have an early switch out of a 2.5 petrol 110 car and it seems like the switch has the 4 positions indicated but only 3 are used. It seems like the detents and spring return are in the electrical switch, so it looks like I could turn this into a diesel assembly (and control the glow plugs for my diesel through it) without swapping the switch out.

Thanks

JL
Your questions crack me up. Are you using a 2.5 engine harness on the Cummins ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 24th, 2014, 09:44 AM
oilburner
JL
large pile of parts

You probably could! The engine needs 1 wire to run, but no, it will be a custom harness.

I want to have the glow plugs controlled through the glow position of the ignition key like a 2.5D (or a tractor). 2.5Ds if I remember correctly have OFF-ACC-RUN-GLOW-START.I could add another switch, but I am trying to keep the dash as simple and sano as I can.

I am just trying to figure out if I need a whole new switch, or just the electrical portion.

For those doing custom engine installs with glow plugs, Waytek wire sells these neat little programmable solid state timers. That's what I plan to use.
Old September 24th, 2014, 11:26 AM
Capt Milks
Mike

If you are going to use a timer just use the switch you have?
Old September 24th, 2014, 01:26 PM
oilburner
JL
large pile of parts

I want to be able to manually extend the timer cycle for when it is -40 through the key position.
Old September 24th, 2014, 01:54 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
On the timer. It would be better tow get the proper TDI relay. It changes he time period based on the temperature.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old September 24th, 2014, 02:06 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
On the timer. It would be better tow get the proper TDI relay. It changes he time period based on the temperature.
This would be best IF the timer contacts can handle the Amps of the Cummin's glow plugs.
Old September 24th, 2014, 02:09 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
You can always add a solenoid in if the amperage rating is not high enough. Solenoids are cheap. If the amperage is that high you would not want it going through the ignition switch either.

Old September 24th, 2014, 02:14 PM
oilburner
JL
large pile of parts

Where does the TDI relay get its temperature reading from? Is it internal to the unit? Is the time-on adjustable? This is for a 6BT with a glow screen so the on-time from the TDI application is probably too short and I want to be able to manually post-heat while it is running. 6BTs do not have glow plugs. I stated glow plugs above because I figured it would be easier for you folks to relate. This thing does not work at all like a 300TDI.
Old September 24th, 2014, 02:56 PM
Capt Milks
Mike

All of my Cummings, yes I have one now, work off the key switch just like the 300 Tdi. But I understand your concern when it is really cold. I think I might look into a fuel filter warmer, engine blanket, oil pan warmer or radiator/ coolant warmer?
Old September 24th, 2014, 03:45 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
JL,
You really want to drive your series truck when its -40 ? Or are you like me and just go and start it to see if it will ? I started my 300 @ 10f once without glows.
Fortunately zero is about as harsh as it gets here, you and John can have that crap.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old September 24th, 2014, 04:26 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
If it were me I would just install a manual switch then. I used to use a cole her see push pull switch. It is rated for 75 amps.

-40 is fine in my defender. It is super insulated and has a webasto with a long distance remote and a massive interior heater. Would not do it with a series or a cummins for sure.

Old September 24th, 2014, 05:24 PM
oilburner
JL
large pile of parts

I think I have my answer - none of you guys have a clue about the ignition switch ! Thanks for the opinions but I will stick with my plan, I'll get a ten dollar pattern switch and see if the detents are truly in the electrical portion, like I think they are, if not I'll just buy a whole switch.

Doug, it's not that bad with good door seals and a truck cab. A MK4 Kodiak will cook you out of the cab pretty easy...
Old September 24th, 2014, 09:12 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
If it were me I would just install a manual switch then. I used to use a cole her see push pull switch. It is rated for 75 amps. -40 is fine in my defender. It is super insulated and has a webasto with a long distance remote and a massive interior heater. Would not do it with a series or a cummins for sure.
I was going to make a comment on how your Canadian Celsius at -40 is probably only -10 deg F until I plugged it in and -40 C is equal to -40 F. I'm sure you guys already knew and why used -40. Regardless that is freakin cold and I hope not to see that temp anytime soon. Besides - that gets to the point of too cold to snow which is the best part of winter.

As for glowplugs timers - I am just going to use the 2.5 NA ignition for the OM617 conversion. I'll just do a mental count based on how cold I feel before I twist the key.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
switch, v8