Ignition Switch Shear bolt. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 5th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Quimbola
Josh
1994 #1695 Not stock.

Ignition Switch Shear bolt.

My ignition switch failed and I need to replace a piece inside.

From the forum I have read http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=26677that is easiest to dremel the sheer bolt and unscrew it.

Here is a picture that used from safari rover. One of my bolts looks like pictured, on the other side it just a rounded dome recessed in the housing, is that what I need to dremel because it looks like that would be hard to "slot"?

Thank you for your a help as always.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sheer bolt.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	53882  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 5th, 2012, 02:25 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

I used a screw extractor and they came out easy.

You can borrow mine if you want but not sure where you are located in CO. I am in Highlands Ranch
Old July 5th, 2012, 02:31 PM
maleger
Marc-Andre Leger
94D90 CDN#18 http://rover.leger.ca

Registry
When I removed mine, the mechanic used a punch to take it out. It looked pretty simple and took him a few minutes to remove both. I replaced it with a push button start switch and 2 aircraft switches (Power + Accessories). Also, I can just switch both batteries off circuit with a marine Off-A-AB-B switch hidden away out of sight.

Once, off roaring, I accidentally locked the steering after a stall and since decided I really don't want nor like a steering lock. Theft is not an issue for me here, where I get stopped by the police all the time (they like to ask questions about my truck, but never check my papers). Anyone would be crazy to steal my truck here in Montréal: a portifino red soft-top 90 stands out too much and the value for parts is nearly null.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 5th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Quimbola
Josh
1994 #1695 Not stock.

Thanks Dave, I have an EZ out so I will try that tonight.
Old July 5th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
En EZ out or screw extractor has worked well for me in the past. They have all come out fairly easily for me.
Old July 5th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Quimbola
Josh
1994 #1695 Not stock.

OK, I think I have it figured out. EZ out to get them out. Then slot/dremel to screw back in. I'll tackle this tonight.

Thank you.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
switch