Ignition switch key lock - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 2nd, 2006, 01:55 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
Ignition switch key lock

Hello all, my ignition switch decided to go two days ago and I finally got around to removing and inspecting it. so the electrical part is intact and switches nicely..(it should I replaced it last year) but the mechanical part is where the problem is. the key goes in and turns but doesn't turn the rod that turns the switches...

so.. is this repairable, is it totally shot? $225 from DAP, is this the best price?

anyone got a working one with keys they'd part with??

thanks for any ideas or tips

~Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 2nd, 2006, 02:59 PM
khouseal
Kevin Houseal
1994 NAS D-90

Steve,
I've got one, the switch part had popped apart but I got it back together. If you've got a new switch you could drop it in, the mechanical part is fine. Send me an email with a small offer and I'll get it off to you.

khouseal@hotmail.com
Kevin
Old December 4th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

I can't remember what I paid but George at RDS has those last year. Pretty reasonable price iirc. I had mine break just like yours while out wheeling. I quickly learned how to hotwire my truck.
Advertisement

Old December 4th, 2006, 05:45 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Take it apart? I took it apart on Disco (1996) one or two years ago. In my case, the key would not turn (i.e. would block somewhere). I think there is a pressed-in piece you can work on removing, once it is out, this unlocks all the moving pieces (be _very_ patient and careful.... springs and all in there). Take everything apart and see what is broken.
You can see the inside of mine at: https://d90rox.kicks-ass.org/DiscoNeiman/

The good thing about taking it apart is that you can go to a junk yard, get another one and get your key to work with it without much trouble! :-) And who knows, you might be able to fix up yours.
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old December 4th, 2006, 06:24 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
Loic, I got a replacement (THANKS!) and so I will be taking mine apart and checking it all out. Hopefulyl I can get the lid back on with some screws, so it will be repairable in the future, as long as nothing gets too worn out..

~Steve
Old December 4th, 2006, 06:32 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
the lid? You mean the back piece (screw-like) that is "pressed" in? With just a srewdriver, you can put some metal back on top of it to keep it in just fine.
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
switch