Ignition Switch issue 89 Def 130 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 11th, 2016, 08:38 PM
AustinAAD90
Greg
94 Defender 90

Ignition Switch issue 89 Def 130

Hey gang. Hoping you can get me out of the frustration station. I had an otherwise fully functional 89 defender die on me, only to find the positive feed to the ignition switch was fused, and blown. Jumpered to get 12V to the switch, turning the key caused a click in the dash, but no action from the starter. It wasn't a low-voltage starter click, but a smaller click somewhere behind the gauge cluster. What am I looking for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 13th, 2016, 02:53 AM
Thiemo
Thiemo Ebersberger
1989 4 door pick up 110

Likely a faulty ignition lock. At the end of the barrel/ housing is the electrical side. A small round casing. All wires are connected to it. Detaches by taking the two allan grub screws out. Available as a separate part PRC 8230.
What ever you do do not replace it with Britpart. It only last about 5 seconds.
Old June 13th, 2016, 08:07 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinAAD90 View Post
Hey gang. Hoping you can get me out of the frustration station. I had an otherwise fully functional 89 defender die on me, only to find the positive feed to the ignition switch was fused, and blown. Jumpered to get 12V to the switch, turning the key caused a click in the dash, but no action from the starter. It wasn't a low-voltage starter click, but a smaller click somewhere behind the gauge cluster. What am I looking for?
Greg:
You didn't state what engine you have which will most likely effect the type of ifnition switch tou have. There is a starter solenoid in the fuse box area that could be the clicking you heard and could need replacing.

Another ass clown wiring scenario.
The brown wire to the ignition switch is NOT fused.
Even with a high amp fuse, it would still heat up due to all the switched connections running through the fuse.
Bypass the fuse by running a new wire from the large battery cable lug on the starter solenoid to the ignition switch.

I get in arguments all the time with people who "over fuse" every circuit like the glow plugs and then wonder why the 70 amp draw is melting the fuse.

You should start with the ground. If you have a bad ground, it could stress the other side (+) of the circuit and cause the wire to pull extra hard and blow the fuse.
Then work your way out from there.
Be careful as there could be a short somewhere on the (+) side and the fuse was put in to mask the short.
If there is a short, you'll need to find it and eliminate it to prevent the loom from smoking.

Good luck.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
130, switch