Ignition switch failing - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old April 27th, 2016, 11:07 AM
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110
Ignition switch failing

Vehicle is a 1997 300tdi 110

As of yesterday my ignition switch will not return to the "run" position after starting. When started it stays in the start position and starter continues spinning. I can turn it back by hand, but you can hear and feel a noticeable stiff click when manually turning it back to the run position. It is fine to still use it but puts my wife off driving it as I told her the possible effects of not getting the switch in the right position.

Since it may be the beginning of the end for the switch does anyone know if it would be the replaceable switch itself or is it possible it's the ignition barrel causing it to not return to the run position. Is it just better to replace both?

I am contemplating adding an X-ENG column lock too while I am in there if anyone has any experience I would appreciate feedback.
Patches are for Pirates and pants, not a bulkhead and chassis!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions