Ignition Switch? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 3rd, 2011, 12:47 PM
BMGmotors
Baird M. Gehring
1997 D90 ST #1558

Registry
Ignition Switch?

So I've heard that ignition switches on D90s are known for going bad after awhile and I think that's what's happening now. First I thought it was just the battery, so I got a new battery. Truck starts right up. But if I leave it parked for some time and I turn the key everything else will come on, and the starter motor does either nothing or makes the clicking sound. Had my battery tested shortly after this happened, jump starts seem to make it go, and the battery tested good. I've replaced my alternator, so I'm pretty sure it isn't that. I've replaced the starter motor as well. I'm quite sure this seems like some sort of ignition switch problem due to a bad connection in the switch itself because if I keep trying to start the car by turning the key a bunch of times it will eventually start. I've basically ruled out that the battery is losing any charge. Is anyone familiar with these symptoms and would anyone agree that it is the ignition switch?

------ Follow up post added December 3rd, 2011 03:04 PM ------

just thought I'd add that once the truck is running everything is normal, no lights out or anything unusual.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 3rd, 2011, 06:19 PM
genie90
Jay Geaney
1994 D-90 ST #282

I had the same problem- sometimes it would crank first try, other times it would take a couple tries to turn over. Replaced the ignition switch two years ago and it hasn't happened since.

Good luck-
Jay
Old December 5th, 2011, 07:04 AM
slowpoke496
Bryan

Had the same issue. Replace only the switch (contact portion) of the ignition switch and problem went away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 5th, 2011, 07:16 AM
Reese_D90
Reese
97 D90 ST and 93 D110

Registry
check the connections at the back of the switch.
NAS 1993 D110 CDN #11/25
1997 D90 ST #1953
2006 Range Rover
1997 D90 SW #701 (sold)
1995 D90 ST (sold)
Old December 5th, 2011, 07:52 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese_D90 View Post
check the connections at the back of the switch.
yep. Then take an eyeglass screw and unscrew the switch and replace. Look up my old thread on the topic for more pics and a list of switches.
Old December 5th, 2011, 12:23 PM
BMGmotors
Baird M. Gehring
1997 D90 ST #1558

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
yep. Then take an eyeglass screw and unscrew the switch and replace. Look up my old thread on the topic for more pics and a list of switches.
I searched for ignition switch under threads by you and couldn't find anything. Could you please give me the link/url?
Old December 5th, 2011, 12:45 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
"ignition" only will bring back more results.

Page 2:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=26330

bought from http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/199...on_switch.html

looks like the prices went up a little.

And removal.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=26677
Old December 5th, 2011, 01:33 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Hmmm...I'm wondering if that could be/have been my issue:
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=33584

It's been fine, but then did it the other day to me and I had to turn the key like 10 times...but then, of course, hasn't done it again.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old December 6th, 2011, 01:08 AM
BMGmotors
Baird M. Gehring
1997 D90 ST #1558

Registry
Thanks Joshua for the help and finding those threads and reposting them here, this will all come in handy! Will have to order a new switch probably from AB. Of course recently my truck has been starting up just fine but I will endeavor to replace that little switch. Glad you posted the pic of when yours fell apart, that confirmed for me that the switch was in fact very similar to the crappy Lucas switch on my '75 TR6 which also fell apart like yours, funny how similar those two switches are especially since the differences in year/make/model of my Triumph and D90. Thanks again to everyone else who commented.
Old December 6th, 2011, 03:30 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

My switch completely fell apart after having similar issues as well. When it completely fails you will be completely dead. I am not sure if this is your issue or not but it sure was mine.
Old December 6th, 2011, 03:40 PM
taoseno
Todd Kendrick
1995 D90 #2206 Original Owner

Registry
The first time we went to Leadville in 1997 my ignition switch failed; I could take the key all the way out and the truck was still running. Truck had less than 20K when it failed. Replaced the switch and have not had a problem since then............
'95 D90 #2206
'66 109" P/U

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
switch