Ignition Relocation = No Start...Help - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 1st, 2004, 01:21 PM
JRowe
Jared Rowe
1994 D90. Stock.

Unhappy Ignition Relocation = No Start...Help

I tried the ignition module relocation kit this weekend w/ negative results.

The insructions that came w/ the kit are for Discovery/Range Rover, so not all of the wiring descriptions match up. Thus I think the problem lies in how I wired it. Hopefully someone can straighten this out for me.

1) It says to disconnect the white/black wire from the NEGATIVE terminal and to leave the PVC sleaved white/black wire attached. These two wires are actually attched to the POSITIVE terminal of my coil.

2) It indicated that the suppression capacitor lead and the white "positive feed wire" are attached to the positive ternimal of the coil. On my truck they are attached to the negative.

So essentially when I hooked the unit all up and tried to start it it stazrted once and then died. Then it would not start again. It would just sit there and crank over and over. I tried swiching all of the wires from poitive to negative and vice versa. Still no start.

There are two wires coming from the new unit that are supposed to plug into the coil. One has a male connector, the other has a female. I'm thinking that I just need to revese these connections and the whole thing should work.

Some one who has done the install, please help. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 1st, 2004, 02:14 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Did it on an lWB this weekend -- I did have to change one of the connectors on the new loom to female. I subed the black and white on the new harness for the old black and white (which is redundant) and the other new wire went to the other pole.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 1st, 2004, 05:00 PM
scrover
Steve Cooper
93 RRC LWB

I didn't have to change any connectors, but I did have to leave one of the old wires connected.

The are two wires from the old harness that went to the coil, and two wires from the new module that go to the coil. The positives are white and the negatives are white with a black stripe on each pair.

I had to connect the new pair to the coil, and also the positive from the old pair. The old negative is not needed. The truck wouldn't start until I did that. You shouldn't have to change any connectors.

SC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 6th, 2004, 03:53 PM
JRowe
Jared Rowe
1994 D90. Stock.

I'm at it again and it's still not working. I'm attempting every wiring configuration I can think of. Has anyone actually done this on a 94 d90? The wiring is clearly different than a RR.

Orignal Setup:
I have three wires coming from the old unit: two white that are combined into one connector and connected to the negative post on the coil; and one black/white that is connected to the positive post. Then there is a white wire in a black PVC sleeve, also connected to the positive post. The black wire from the capacitor is connected to the negative post.

The way steve cooper said to do it is the same as the instructions that came w/ the kit. It doesn't work.

I'm stumped. Please help.

If anyone reads this within the next hour or so and has the relocation kit on their d90 and wouldn't mind giving me a call and describing how their wires are all connected, please call me at 916-220-5673.

Thanks. --Jared
Old March 6th, 2004, 06:34 PM
JRowe
Jared Rowe
1994 D90. Stock.

ok, i'm out of time. i'm putting the old one back on....again.

so if anyone who has the kit installed could help that would be great. here's what i need:

take a look at your coil/ignition. let me know what wires are connected to the positive terminal and what wires are connected to the negative terminal. please account for all of these wires:

1. two white wires coming from old unit.
2. one white/black wire coming from old unit.
3. white wire in black pvc casing coming from the back of the engine.
4. black wire coming from capacitor.
5. white wire coming from new unit.
6. white/black wire coming from new unit.

also, there is a little wire attached to a bracket right next to the original location of the ignition module. does this wire remain connected?

Thanks for the help.
Old March 8th, 2004, 12:45 PM
JRowe
Jared Rowe
1994 D90. Stock.

btt

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
start