ignition problem - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 23rd, 2004, 03:23 PM
Irish1
Brian Boyle

ignition problem

My 97 Defender 90 is experiencing starting problems. No Check engine light. While hot the engine cranks but doesn't fire for a while then will start. While cranking there is no injector pulse or spark. Does anyone have any ideas? I've replaced plugs and wires. Some other strange things going on are the odometer is reading gibberish. HELP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 23rd, 2004, 06:51 PM
Irish1
Brian Boyle

Unhappy Follow-up

I just found out it's something in the interaction between the anti-theft computer and the ecm. The speculartion is that because the ecm is located under the hood, when it gets hot it warps. This warp opens up conections on the circut board trhat have to do with communication with the anti-theft module. I was told I couldn't just purchase a new set (anti-theft,ecm) because they had to be programed at a Rover dealer for the specific installation. Needless to say this all is very frustrating. I bought the 90 on ebay last Feb. Now I'm wondering if this wasn't a problem the previous owner had experienced and dind't share with me. If any one has experience with this I could use their strength and hope.
Old July 23rd, 2004, 11:47 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

First, relax . . . you will live longer and it is a good skill for a rover owner.

The way GEMS works is normally if you swap one or the other they will be ok. (not always but usually it is ok). But if both are swapped at once it will need to be dealer programed.

I am not familiar with the issue that you describe. When you have the issue does the check engine light go through "self test" (ie comes on for a second and then goes off?). This is the mark of ECU issues.

Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 24th, 2004, 12:50 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

When you say it does not start, do you mean the starter does not spin the engine over? Or do you mean the engine cranks/spins over but will not start? You can wire around the starter disable from thte ECU/theft if it is a starter issue. Get a used ECU if you have had one diagnosed bad and swap it in. What you descibed is more relevant to a 4.0 in a Range Rover P38 not a D90.

JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old July 24th, 2004, 09:41 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Brian,
when you experience the problem, does the check engine light go through its self check, or not illuminate at all. The 1997s had a theft alarm unit but it can be bypassed...if it fails it usually fails to trigger the starter relay and the engine won't crank. I would look at the main relay...it lives under the ecu cover behind the ecu and has 2 connectors. it provides power to the fuel pump as well as the ecu. I have seen these cause intermittent problems on more than one occasion...when they fail, they cut power to the ecu and the check engine light will not illuminate.
Rob

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions