Ignition Module and Coil? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 24th, 2003, 06:41 PM
milli
Michael D. Milliken
9590SW

Ignition Module and Coil?

We just stalled out this morning so I had it go to the dealer here in Boise. They say I need a new Ignition Module and Coil. They are not sure which is sending the bad info, but the recomended is do them both ($530). Sound legit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 24th, 2003, 06:48 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
include labor? i bet you could do it for half yourself
Old October 24th, 2003, 07:22 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Michael, before you spend the cash make sure it is the problem! The PO of my 90 spent big bucks at the dealer (over 2k for parts and labor) to find out it had a bad fuel filter. 90s have many ignition problems and some $tealers just go down a list until the problem is fixed and then you have to foot the big BILL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 24th, 2003, 08:07 PM
milli
Michael D. Milliken
9590SW

Sounds like you had the PO we wish we all had!
I had the fuel filter on my list of to-do's. I think I'll pull it back here and dig in myself.
The coil is in the distributor and I can follow a wire to the ignition module?
Just swap 'em both?
They claim to have checked plugs and wires and say my fuel pump is working.
Anything else worth exploring?
Thanks for the advice!
Old October 24th, 2003, 11:51 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

$530 to replace the coil and ignition module! OUCH! Who are you going to in Boise? I think Lyle Peterson (or is it Person, I forget) is the LR dealer in Boise isn't he? I've been told by two seperate sources, one local and one not, that they're pretty responsable people. So if you've haven't stopped by you could always give them a ring.

Anyway, the ignition coil should be on the drivers side of your D90. It's a 6 inch long cylinder that has a single spark plug wire travcersing from it to the middle of your distributor cap. The coil is bolted onto a mount that is fixed twice to your drivers side wing and once to the wheel well. It's pretty simple to remove.

Now as for the "Ignition Module" I'm sure as to what your refereing to. I looked it up in parts catalog and it wasn't there so could it be under another description? Just let me know that or better yet a part number and I'll look it up in my catalogs. Hope this helps.

Regards

DJ
Old October 25th, 2003, 10:14 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Yea it was stalling so they replaced the timing chain along with a new ignition system then when it still had problems some one said what about the fuek filter.
Old October 27th, 2003, 01:01 PM
milli
Michael D. Milliken
9590SW

Thanks for the help/advice gentlemen.
It is Lyle Peterson. They seem cool.
I am going to tow it home and try it myself. I just think the more aquainted I get with the engine compartment the better.
The Ignition module is supposidly attached to the distributor and also known as the amplifier. I guess it comes in line after the coil?
RN will make a little $ this week and I will probably get 30K volts through myself but that's all part of the fun right!
Any additional tech appreciated..Thanks again.
Old October 27th, 2003, 04:10 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Doing it yourself is very satisfying. Don't fry yourself, I don't whant to hear about some rover owner turning into toast.
Old October 28th, 2003, 11:20 AM
milli
Michael D. Milliken
9590SW

Have you heard of the Bosch vs. Lucas Coils? RN says the Bosch needs an adapter (from two prong to three prong) and thats the one I want. What's the deal?
Old October 28th, 2003, 12:29 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

On the bottom of the coil there is 2 posts. you need to connect 3 wires on one post so you need an adaptor to fit all three wires using the crimp on connectors.
Old October 28th, 2003, 12:39 PM
milli
Michael D. Milliken
9590SW

$40 extra to fit a coil that's twice the cost already!
Is there anybody out there that thinks the Lucas coil and amp will be inferior to the Bosch?
Old October 29th, 2003, 11:01 AM
Toddco
Todd Klueger
1995 Defender 90

Ford duraspark ignition module only $16.99
Accel Super Stock Coil 45,000 volts $29.99
email me for part #'s
This is how it is wired:
Distributor wire blue connect to orange wire duraspark box
Distributor wire red connect to violet(purple) wire duraspark box

Red wire from duraspark box to postive key on igintion.
Black wire from duraspark conect to Ground.
Green wire from duraspark conect to negative side of coil.
White wire from duraspark box optional hook up to solenoid wire from starter, for easier starting(retards the timing while starting). Make sure the box is grounded good.
This gives you an alternative to the problamatic Lucas module that Land rover has had problems with from the begining! Land rover uses a variable reluctance magnetic pickup distributor and guess what, so does the Ford duraspark distributor.

Please notice the changes. The Duraspark box fires on the rising edge of the signal. If your Land Rover original box
fired on the falling edge then the polarity will be reversed, meaning blue goes to orange and red goes to violet(purple). Be sure to check timing when finished!

Old October 29th, 2003, 12:21 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Todd I think you have posted that very useful bit of information before and probly will again, maybe Chris can put it in the FAQ section.
Old October 29th, 2003, 01:43 PM
Toddco
Todd Klueger
1995 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally posted by Toddco
Ford duraspark ignition module only $16.99
Accel Super Stock Coil 45,000 volts $29.99
email me for part #'s
This is how it is wired:
Distributor wire blue connect to orange wire duraspark box
Distributor wire red connect to violet(purple) wire duraspark box

Red wire from duraspark box to postive key on igintion.
Black wire from duraspark conect to Ground.
Green wire from duraspark conect to negative side of coil.
White wire from duraspark box optional hook up to solenoid wire from starter, for easier starting(retards the timing while starting). Make sure the box is grounded good.
This gives you an alternative to the problamatic Lucas module that Land rover has had problems with from the begining! Land rover uses a variable reluctance magnetic pickup distributor and guess what, so does the Ford duraspark distributor.

Please notice the changes. The Duraspark box fires on the rising edge of the signal. If your Land Rover original box
fired on the falling edge then the polarity will be reversed, meaning blue goes to orange and red goes to violet(purple). Be sure to check timing when finished!
setup is pictured. I'm new to setting up these replys, sorry for pasting the same thing over again. I stuck the Land Rover sticker on the Ford Duraspark Box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc00168.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	69  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
coil, mod