Ignition lock surprise - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old May 18th, 2011, 08:43 AM
J Pinkham
1984 90
Question Ignition lock surprise

I have a 1984 ROW 90 LHD something is always wearing out- the latest casualty is the ignition switch. Looks simple to replace except for the security bolt on the steering shaft clamp-it's recessed and I can't get a good look at it but it appears it will have to be drilled-of course it will be hardened. Question- what is the proper way to deal with this- I'm out of ideas except for drilling--any suggestions? Thanks in advance- now what will be the next surprise/challenge?--Thanks-John

Old May 18th, 2011, 08:52 AM
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes
Drilling will be best. I almost did it but did it the long way instead.

ECR's suggestion:

Originally Posted by bjf View Post
I am talking purely from an aesthetics standpoint.
Old May 18th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST
Yep, just what Josh said: unscrew the two little screws that hold the ignition switch in the tumbler assembly. Then just pull it out- if you're lucky.
Old May 19th, 2011, 12:57 AM
Scott Y
95 D90 SW, 2003 Disco II, 93 D110
I have drilled out and then used regular metric bolts to reinstall. This makes it field serviceable if you need to pull the ignition switch on the side of the road.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions