ignition/engine misfire code (sleuth work needed) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 7th, 2010, 07:42 PM
hlamar
Heston LaMar
97 NAS D90 ST #1789

ignition/engine misfire code (sleuth work needed)

Hoping for some sleuth help from other D90ers out there. My Check Engine light came on, took it to my mechanic and he said it reported an "ignition/engine misfire code" (nothing specific). Since I just had the heads re-done last year, he suggested that I first replace the plug wires since they were original OEM. So, I did that, reset the light and about 20-30 miles later, light is back on. Any ideas on what to check next? Obviously, I would like to take the most likely route to diagnosis and limit my expense.

Engine is running as smooth as silk, so no noticeable issues there neither on idle or full acceleration.

I saw other posts on the "misfire code" coming up when it is actually a "rough road ABS" issue? One guy reported a blown out shock. My shocks & springs are original and could use replacement for offroading purposes (putting together that fund now), but they are not soft or "bouncy" (ride seems fine on the road).
Advertisement

Old July 7th, 2010, 09:15 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Mine does it occasionally too and I already changed the plugs and wires (8mm). I have 56K and the engine runs smooth as silk.

I have not spent too much time on it, I just reset it when it happens again. Let me know what you find.

Old July 7th, 2010, 10:13 PM
mjekogian
Michael Jekogian
1997/ Defender ST

Registry
did you change or check all the plugs when you changed the wires I went with a hotter plug when I was having some misfiring that and wires did the trick? Are the wires on good and tight?
my guess would be to look at the coil next.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 8th, 2010, 02:52 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
i have had the same problem and have changed wires and plugs too. i'm wondering if isn't due to running a non-standard exhaust system(flowmaster)? maybe the decrease in back pressure messes with the airflow sensor?
Old July 13th, 2010, 11:19 PM
hlamar
Heston LaMar
97 NAS D90 ST #1789

Have "non-standard" exhaust, but it has been on for years without the light issue. Plug wires are on good and tight, and plugs are a year old. Guess the coil is the next step...unless I hear any other ideas??

Big issue now is that I cannot get it to pass NC State Inspection right now due to the fault code. After I changed the wires, we reset the light, and it was off for about 20 miles and came back on. I have also been told even if I reset the Check Engine light again that the code will "still be in memory" and show up if I try to get it inspected while the light is temporarily off. Ugg!!
Old July 14th, 2010, 12:41 PM
mjekogian
Michael Jekogian
1997/ Defender ST

Registry
If you clear at the door to the inspection and it takes 20 mile to come back you should be ok. do you have a OBII reader?
Old July 14th, 2010, 04:05 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

[QUOTE=hlamar;230591] Guess the coil is the next step...unless I hear any other ideas?? [QUOTE]

???
Old July 19th, 2010, 08:06 AM
hlamar
Heston LaMar
97 NAS D90 ST #1789

Michael - I was told that the computer has "memory" and despite "clearing"/turning off the light, the code would still come up on the NC Inspection computer when they hooked up to the truck? Does anyone know if this is so?

GYM - I guess that I can only respond to your response of "???" (to my "??") with "????"...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine, fire, misfire