Ignition cylinder troubles - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 20th, 2013, 08:55 PM
sro
Sam Odio
2008 LR2

Registry
Ignition cylinder troubles

Needed a new set of keys made...and of course it's turning into a big ordeal.

I just had a locksmith do a number on the metal ignition cylinder housing / steering wheel lock to remove the ignition cylinder. However he wasn't able to remove it. Does anyone know of there's a secret to these? He drilled out the pin in the housing that locks the cylinder in place. He needs to get the existing cylinder out to pita new one in (for the new key).

Alternatively, how easy is it to hot wire this truck? Land rover is saying they can't get me a new ignition cylinder housing for a couple weeks at the earliest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2013, 09:04 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

I just replaced all the cylinders in my doors, all I had to do was put the key in the cylinder depress the pin and remove the cylinder. If you don't have the key you will have to drill out the cylinder. As for the ignition key I put in a push start to bypass until I am get a new ignition switch in. Hope this helps.
Old May 20th, 2013, 09:07 PM
sro
Sam Odio
2008 LR2

Registry
I'll let the locksmith know he'll have to drill out the ignition as I don't have the key.

How well did the push start work? There are two wires going to the middle of the housing (separate from all the wires in the back). Are those the two that you have to short to get ignition?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2013, 09:16 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sro View Post
I'll let the locksmith know he'll have to drill out the ignition.

How well did the push start work? There are two wires going to the middle of the housing (separate from all the wires in the back). Are those the two that you have to short to get ignition?
Just to be clear I don't know about drilling the ignition!! Only the door locks that I am aware of, not sure about the ignition. For the push start you put to two wires to a switch that turns on the power and then two to the push start to turn over the ignition. This way you can by pass the ignition switch all together. Sorry I cannot be more help.
Old May 20th, 2013, 09:23 PM
sro
Sam Odio
2008 LR2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewie212 View Post
For the push start you put to two wires to a switch that turns on the power and then two to the push start to turn over the ignition. This way you can by pass the ignition switch all together. Sorry I cannot be more help.
Oh, okay. So it's 4 wires from the back of the cylinder housing? Honestly this seems like the best option for me now because I'm pretty sure it's going to take at least a week to get the ignition cylinder sorted.
Old May 20th, 2013, 09:24 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer

It took ten minutes for me to wire it!
Old May 20th, 2013, 10:20 PM
sro
Sam Odio
2008 LR2

Registry
Reading the wiring diagrams in the workshop manual, it looks like there are three wires at the back of the cylinder and one positive lead. I think I have to connect the positive to all three to get the starter, then disconnect the starter lead once the engine has started.

Still don't know what the two leads going to the middle of the cylinder (steering lock) housing are for. I guess I'll just ignore them.
Old May 20th, 2013, 10:53 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer

Ill look at mine tomorrow and let you know
Old September 30th, 2013, 06:37 PM
sro
Sam Odio
2008 LR2

Registry
I ended up getting an entirely new cylinder and housing unit. Everything is now working fine. The locksmith wasn't able to drill out the cylinder.

I never did jumpstart the car so I can't say for sure which wires were for what.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions