Ignition/coil to EUC - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 7th, 2005, 09:02 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Ignition/coil to EUC

OK so I am trying some funny things to try and get the 4.0 working with my stock 14CUX ECU since I kinda broke my Megasquirt. I have almost everything wired and working, but I need to send some kind of signal to the ECU so that it knows to fire the relays. Right now I have a Ford EDIS unit ( http://www.dainst.com/info/edis/edis.html ) to control the coil packs, and it works! it has a tac output on it that I tried connecting to the ECU on pin 39 (the pin that the negative side of the coil was connected to) to see if the signal from the EDIS was good for the ECU but it didn't seem to work as the engine didn't start, but the battery was dead and the engine didn't crank all that fast but under normal circumstances I think it would have started.

So what I am looking for is any info on the output of the distributor going into the coil, and/or what exactly the stock ECU is looking for to fire the injectors. I know there are after market distributors out there, and they have the signal output to drive the ECU to do this, so it can be done. If someone with and )-scope can measure what the ECU is getting for a signal on pin 39 when idling that would be helpful, I tried measuring the signal on Jimmy's coil with my DVM but the frequency was all over the place.

THANKS for all and any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 7th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

According to my trusty Rover tech manual, it simply pulls the signal from the negative terminal on the ignition coil for the ECU pin 39. So that means it's reading every single ignition pulse, which makes sense since it IS a batch-fire system.

Oh..... Red-Rhino I just discovered now has an HEI distributor for us.

Whatcha do to the poor MegaSquirt?

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old March 7th, 2005, 01:28 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

What did I do well I brought it in the house to program it, I looked at my diagram to hook up the battery to it, And I thought it said pin 26, wrong 28, the print was small and I looked quick, it took out some components on the board I think. Not sure what, I replaced the voltage regulator as it stopped working and tried again with no luck so I need to get some parts and try and fix it.

So every pulse, Hmm, thats 4 per every engine rotation, right? I think I need to steal a scope from work and measure someone's I know what the PIP is on the EDIS http://www.picotech.com/auto/waveforms/ford_edis.html and I believe it pulses 35 times every engine RPM if it is getting it's signal from the Crank sensor.

Hmm, going to have to be creative with this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 7th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I don't think you'll be able to use the crank sensor at all for the 14CUX, I don't think the Lucas system can extrapolate it at all. The problem I see is... you need something that has an advance mechanism built in to it and none of the outputs on the EDIS appear to have that. The PIP is locked at TDC, The IDM output is 10 AFTER TDC, I can't determine, but I think the SAW is an input line.

You might have to tap into each line going into all 4 coil packs, but that would require some kind of isolators to prevent cross-firing.

-Hans

Follow-up Post:

Oh, and you put power into pin 28 on the MS? That can't be good.

26 is the 5volt output going to the TPS sensor, you'll have to look at that circuit in it's whole.

-Hans

Old March 7th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Yes the SAW is an input to the EDIS to andvance or retard the timing (something the Megasquirt can do). I may have another idea, I think there is a sensor on the cam that is 4 pulses for every engine RPM, but i'm not sure on the advance.

Follow-up Post:

Yeah wrong pin exactly, and it went out to allot of things! Oh well.
Old March 7th, 2005, 02:29 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Hmmm. I'd try the PIP first and see what happens. Since it is a batch-fired system, it might just work for now until the MegaSquirt gets repaired.

Forget this EDIS stuff, I'm just going to run the Red-Rhino HEI or an MSD distributor.

-Hans

Old March 7th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Well I tried it over the weekend, but I found that there was 7 kohm from where the stock wires hook to the coil and the ECU on pin 39, not sure that it is a bad connection or that it should be there? I should have a new battery in the truck tonight and will try again with a direct connection to the ECU.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
coil