Ignition Amplifier Wiring? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 14th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Lesandjes
AndrewT
'93 NAS D110

Coil/Ignition Wiring?

Maybe a dumb question but.....

NAS D110 - Lucas block box right next to but behind the coil near the fender - not sure what this is (need to get a pic) - thought it was ignition amplifier but don't think thats it.

There are two heavy gauge battery cables going out the bottom of that box that route into battery box under seat. Solid Brown wire goes to + terminal on battery (makes sense). The Brown/White cable goes to the top post on the side of the battery box (which is also labeled + positive terminal). There is nothing else connected there either inside the battery box or on the other side of that screw.

I am trying to figure what that brown/white wire does and what is that post for on the seat box?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IAPic2.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	51598  
'93 NAS D110 #437
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 14th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Lesandjes
AndrewT
'93 NAS D110

I think the FSM refers to this as a split charge unit terminal??? Anyone know what that does or does that have no use in a single battery situation?
'93 NAS D110 #437
Old May 14th, 2012, 04:45 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I am not sure I understand, but isn't that your battery cut off switch?
Advertisement

Old May 14th, 2012, 05:08 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

looks like two leads going to the battery cut off like Ron said.

Andy, last time I checked you didn't have a battery cutoff did you?
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old May 14th, 2012, 05:42 PM
Lesandjes
AndrewT
'93 NAS D110

Thx for replies. No - that is not the battery cut off switch. I have that switch and that is on the front of the battery box. This pic is of the posts on the side of the battery box near the shifters. These posts are marked with polarity (+ or -) while the battery cut-off switch just toggles the ground wire only.

My FSM shows this to be "split charge terminals" and says its for 110s only. I am trying to figure out what that is. The box behind the coil in the engine bay terminates both the brown and the white-brown wires and I am not sure what that does either. Its literally a block box with Lucas on it, two small wires go into it and the two large battery cables come out the bottom.

AndrewT
'93 NAS D110 #437
Old May 14th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Lesandjes
AndrewT
'93 NAS D110

Need to change title of thread since this isn't a coil or ignition wiring question.....

I found this at the end of the FSM and it refers to it as a "split charge and voltage sensitive switch circuit". The Lucas black box in the engine bay next to the coil is the split charge unit and the posts in the battery box are the split charge posts. The + split charge post gets the Brown/White battery cable and the - split charge post connects to the battery isolator (cut-off switch).

So I assume those split charge posts in the battery box are for hooking up a dual battery configuration since the split charge unit is managed by a voltage sensitive switch relay connected to it - so you can drain an aux battery hooked up there without killing your main (starter) battery (I assume thats how that voltage sensitive relay works).

AndrewT
'93 NAS D110 #437

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
wiring