Ignition amp relocation.. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 24th, 2008, 03:03 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
Ignition amp relocation..

Fellow rover-holics, I'm installing the Toddco ingition amp/coil kit and have a question for y'all.. I'm making mounting brackets now so I have a day or so to see what you guys say before rewiring anything...

I have to remove the stock ign. amp module (mines still on the distributor) and need to get at the red and blue wires. My question is.. do I have to remove the distributor to get at these wires and to remove the stock amp? Any tips with this? I've never removed the dist or messed with my timing.. Anyone do the rover relocation kit? How did it go?

thanks for your thoughts

~Steve

(I bought the kit two months ago and upon paying for it my truck began to run great. Just in the past two weeks have some symptoms come up again so its now time for the install. Stumbling off idle when the engine is hot, occasional hard starting.)
Advertisement

Old May 25th, 2008, 10:44 AM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
allright, well the man behind Toddco told me that I should be able to loosen and rotate the dist. to get the amp off if I wasn't hot on the idea of removing it altogether.. Of cpurse markign its location before moving it around..

the mounting brackets came out nice, ill post a pic later today..

fingers crossed
~Stv
Old May 25th, 2008, 11:17 AM
PCRover
Gary Young
'94 90ST -> SW

I am interested in your progress, thanks for the upates and post up pics when you can.
Advertisement

Old May 25th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Question

Just curious, what is the advantage of the Toddco ingition amp/coil kit?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 25th, 2008, 07:23 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
Toddco's kit replaces historically unreliable rover parts with cheap easy to get reliable parts. I could get the rover relocation kit but its three times the $$ and why would I want a rover part if I can use a part available at almost any auto parts store?

Today: Cleaned stepper - got rid of bouncy idle. CLeaned/ greased corroded contatct on stock amplifier, and took apart, cleaned and greased ground on driverside rear of engine. Hot stunbling and stalling issues still there..

Tomorro Im going in to install Toddco parts. (amp+Coil)

Here are the brackets I made yesterday..
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...etta/RVRsm.jpg

~Steve
Old May 27th, 2008, 11:45 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
allright, install went pretty smoothly today I guess.. had to solder wires right into the Reluctor, these went to the new module, plus one ground, and two wires to the coil. got the distributor lined up back as perfectly as I could. It started right up and seems to run a bit stronger now at revs, but still(!!) stumbling/missing a bit under 2k. (although not as bad) drive it to work tomorrow? aaah we'll see.

I noticed that my vacuum advance was seized, probably has been for a while, so when I get a new one it'll go in, hopefully this will smooth out my operation a bit. Could my timing be so off as to cause poor running at low revs?

will it ever run right for more than a month?
~Steve
Old June 1st, 2008, 06:20 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
Allright guys.. truck still having engine roughness issues. At operating temp, it won't pull smoothly under any load off idle, it just stumbles and misses until rpm's climb over 2k. My clutch is hating me right now.

Here's what Ive done to not solve the issue...

-Installed Toddco ignition amp/coil kit. Started right up and seems to run a bit better at higher rpms, but the problem persists.
-replaced my stepper, got rid of the jumpy idle.. good. but no chage with the main issue.
-cleaned my rocker cover vapor recovery filters, hoses and T piece, the rubber and sealing looks good.
-replaced vacuum advance, new hose. Trying to get in to the distributor to clean and lube it but the reluctor is stuck on the shaft, so I couldn't get in there - dosed it with carb cleaner and oiled pivots throught the two holes on the dist body. Also replaced engine coolant temp sensor. Started right up but problem still here.

I need to check my timing. Noone around me sells the things it seems, Ill keep looking. soon I will have one.

Any ideas guys? for some reason I think my distributor advance mech is sticky, but I couldn't really get in there to clean it. could this be the cause? permanently retarded/advanced timing? Why does it get really bad when the engine is hot?

frustrating.

~Steve
Old June 1st, 2008, 10:21 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Dealing with the same issue here actually, after doing an HEI module swap and relocation. Just as stumped.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 11:21 AM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
Next I am going to check for a vacuum leak around the fuel pressure regulator.. the fact that it only stumbles off idle, under load, leads me to think its a vacuum issue.. when I get home today my truck will inevitably be stumbling as usual, i'm going to check the plugs and see what condition theyre in.. gotta find a timing light too.

good luck Hans!!

~Steve
Old June 10th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Found mine! At least, it's running a huge deal better after I think I figured my issue out.

Had the wires between the reluctor and the ignition module reversed. Switched them around, and she runs great again.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old June 11th, 2008, 08:37 AM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
wow.. wish it ws as simple as that for me!

Truck's at the shop, HEI dizzy going in... will let ya know what the deal is/was.
vac leak at a manifold?
fuel pressure not right somewhere?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions