Ignition? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 22nd, 2005, 12:52 AM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Ignition?

My ignition went out a few weeks ago. I turned the key something went pop and it no longer works. Pullled it and looked at it and there's nothing fixable. I need a new one. I've talked to a Rover breaker in town and they want $300 and a month or two to come up with one.

My question is: Will an ignition from the UK work in an NAS truck? I don't know if their ignition is on the left like ours seeing as I've never been in one. They're like $75 or less over there and that's a big enough difference to make it worth waiting for it to get here.
Advertisement

Old July 22nd, 2005, 07:38 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Good Question! Mine started acting up too, doing the same thing. SO far I have been able to get it started by banging on the steering colum until it works. I may just add a start button if it's easier then getting a new switch.
Old July 22nd, 2005, 10:59 AM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

You might take the binnacle out and have a look. I had a customers truck in the shop last week and the electrical portion of the switch had come apart...I recrimped it and it is fine. Also, I believe that you can buy just the electrical protion of the switch rather than the whole key lock assembly.
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 22nd, 2005, 11:46 AM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadsiderob
You might take the binnacle out and have a look. I had a customers truck in the shop last week and the electrical portion of the switch had come apart...I recrimped it and it is fine. Also, I believe that you can buy just the electrical protion of the switch rather than the whole key lock assembly.
Rob
The electronic bit is fine. The key just no longer turns in the lock. This weekend I guess I'll just install a starter button. That'll be the cheapest method I guess. I'll have to figure out the wiring first of course. Anyone got a detailed wiring diagram for the ignition?
Old July 22nd, 2005, 11:51 AM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Have you tried RDS?
Rob
Old July 22nd, 2005, 12:29 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadsiderob
Have you tried RDS?
That's where I found one. Not cheap but much better than the $300 I was quoted elsewhere. I thought I had called him but when I thought about it I hadn't.
Old July 23rd, 2005, 01:18 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

HEY! I fixed my problem! I had a bad ground to the chassie! THats it just check your grounds, I bet you may have forgot one or need to clean one up from the top end rebuild.
Old July 27th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

George at RDS came through. He shipped me exactly the part I needed. Took 10 minutes to install and I've got a working ignition again. No more using the battery cut-off to turn the truck on then plugging and unplugging the starter relay for me.

I do have one question though for anyone that can answer it. The ignition he shipped me didn't have a couple wires that the old one did. Does any one know what these two wires on top of the ignition do?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ignition.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	3483  
Old August 1st, 2005, 09:57 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

No idea right now, I'll have to dig out the manual and have a look. Glad it's running!
Old August 1st, 2005, 10:00 AM
rustydefender
Russell Newton
97 D-90 sw

That happened to me last week my mechanic overnighted a new ignition for 150 had it back running the next day. If you want I can find out where he ordered it.
Old August 1st, 2005, 12:57 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
No idea right now, I'll have to dig out the manual and have a look. Glad it's running!
I thought about it. Want to bet it's the 'key in the ignition' sensor? Makes the dinger ding to let you know you've forgotten your keys. My dinger has never worked and I like it that way so I'll just ignore those wires. Nothing has been affected by that wire being disconnected.
Old August 1st, 2005, 01:04 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Ahh yes! I bet you're right. Oh and I killed mine by letting it get rained on.
Old August 1st, 2005, 08:53 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Wait . . .

really . . .

I will unplug mine asap.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions