If you were going install a gigantic amplifier in a D90, where would you mount it? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 17th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

If you were going install a gigantic amplifier in a D90, where would you mount it?

Check this out, I got this 5 channel Polk amp http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/pr...nnel/pa1100_5/that I want to use to power my new polk front and rear components as well as the square 8inch kicker sub I just put in my custom center console. I already bought the amp, problem is figuring out where to put this amp. This thing is more than twice the length of any space inside the seat box. I believe its about 38 inches long. So far I"m thinking mounting along the length of the rear load space (right underneath the rollcase and use self tapping screws to mount to the inner rail to not put any holes on any important panels) Like I'll use a length of carpeted MDF mount that to the upper inner rail vertically and mount the amp on that. Any suggestions? Of course, help is always appreciated.

Robert Deniro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 17th, 2010, 03:10 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
I used a Tuffy box in the rear for my Amp. Mounted the AMP to the side of the box so there weren't any extra holes and you could still put things in the box. Gives it protection from the elements and sticky fingers.

Is there a way to fab something that would allow you mount it sideways above the tire well. Would be in the curved section under the capping of the tub. Don't know how that would work out but then you wouldn't have drunk strippers stepping on it in their stilettos at the end of the night getting in and out of the back of the truck.

Alex
Old November 17th, 2010, 03:10 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Mounted to the underside of the rear seat. It says it is only 26in long
Advertisement

Old November 17th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

I think my best bet would be to put this thing over the wheel well on a piece of MDF (carpeted of course). That way it'll be out of the way, would look good and have plenty of space for cooling. This thing is a monster, I will post results when I'm done. Thanks

Neil

Robert Deniro
Old November 17th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
My 90 had this humongous woofer/ amp and was placed right behind the Cubby Box
Old November 17th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Mounted to the underside of the rear seat. It says it is only 26in long
I was gonna say it seems bigger than that (in before the thats what she said jokes) It is pretty damn heavy and awkward.

Robert Deniro
Old November 17th, 2010, 05:27 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Why not mount it to the hood?
Old November 17th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Why not mount it to the hood?
Because thats what I cook my breakfast on. On a serious note, now that I got the power, I think I'm going to go ghetto and put in 2"15's. On my visit to the stereo shop last week, I saw they had this MTX subwoofer http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products...jackhammer.cfm

22inches, 369 lbs, 6000 watts RMS. Game over. They have a perviously used one for 3500. I'm thinking about putting this in my series III with a 12000 Watt component 12 volt Amplifier. Since I hardly ever drive the thing I could convert it to a rolling earthquake. What do ya guys think?

Robert Deniro
Old November 19th, 2010, 09:40 AM
jijalicious
Jiman Khosravan
'94 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
Since I hardly ever drive the thing I could convert it to a rolling earthquake. What do ya guys think?
I cracked up so loud my colleagues thought i was drunk. It's 9:40am on friday.. so it was a possibility.
Old November 19th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Troys
Troy Smith
1995 D90 SW

Amp Mount

Neil

That unit would fit nicely in one of those world famous Troy Smith Boxes.

Just a thought?

Troy
Old November 19th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troys View Post
Neil

That unit would fit nicely in one of those world famous Troy Smith Boxes.

Just a thought?

Troy
Would love to but the problem is I'd like to have accessibility to the crossover controls/wiring at all times and if I put it in a box I would have little space to do so. Especially since this amp is 26 inches long. Would be hard to see the controls inside a box no? I'm constantly tuning the sounds on my sound system/changing components consistently.

Robert Deniro
Old November 19th, 2010, 08:19 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
While not all that useful to you Neil as you have already purchased the amp, I installed an Alpine Power Pack for the front & rears (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500KTP4....html?tp=35782) and a Rockford Punch 300.1 (http://www.crutchfield.com/s_575P300....html?tp=35834) for the 10" Alpine subwoofer (2 ohm) mounted in a box that fits perfectly behind the back seat and to one side of the center seat belt. I mounted the two amps in a box beneath the Tuffy that raises the Tuffy up approximately 3". For me this served two purposes as I wanted my Tuffy a little higher anyway. I installed a hinge on the rear so I can instant access to my gear anytime I want. FWIW, the interior dimensions of the console base are approximately 12"W x 17"L. The pics should give you an idea although I realized that I never actually took any pics of the finished product.

Again, while not overly helpful to Neil, it may give some other folks an idea. I also mounted my Cobra 75 control box under there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00107-20100712-1709.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	33322   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00108-20100712-1717.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	33323  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90, mount