If the hub is off..... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 27th, 2010, 01:02 PM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

Exclamation If the hub is off.....

How long will it take to replace the axle seal? Front left hub is leaking, being replaced under warranty. The axle seal is also bad, but not under warranty. They quoted me 2.5hrs to replace the axle seal alone, after the fact the hub is off and everything is broken down. I have never done it before, but it certainly doesnt sound that hard to me, and 2.5hrs sounds a bit much. thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 27th, 2010, 01:07 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

If it is already broken down, I would think about a half (.5) hour.

Old April 27th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
I don't understand how a leaking hub can be replaced under warranty but the hub seal is not under warranty.

Hubs don't leak, hub seals leak. So if they are changing the hub under warranty due to a leak, then the seal should be part of that job. In fact, every part and operation required to perform the warranty hub replacement should be covered.

Unless this is a parts only warranty.

Not sure what book time is particularly on a D2 but 2.5 hours to change one hub sounds maybe a bit high but not by much, assuming that is for the whole job in and out the door.

It takes about 10 seconds to pry out an old seal and about a minute or two to push a new one in, once the parts are laid out in front of you. Add a few more minutes to repack the bearings.

Where is this work taking place?

EDIT; ok, so is the bad axle seal the one where the halfshaft emerges from the axle casing inboard of the CV joint? I fthat is the case then yeah probably 2.5 hours, lord only knows with those funky D2 axles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaKevin View Post
How long will it take to replace the axle seal? Front left hub is leaking, being replaced under warranty. The axle seal is also bad, but not under warranty. They quoted me 2.5hrs to replace the axle seal alone, after the fact the hub is off and everything is broken down. I have never done it before, but it certainly doesnt sound that hard to me, and 2.5hrs sounds a bit much. thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 27th, 2010, 01:49 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

let it leak. 2.5hours of labor buys a lot of 90wt
Old April 27th, 2010, 02:00 PM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

Its the actual axle seal, but apparently there is also a slight leak in the hub seal too (NO leaking can be seen though- besides- thats grease). They already had the hub apart, or else i would stick to the 90wt refill routine, or do it myself. Then again, leaking 3-4oz a day, and no clue how much when driving, upgraded axles and lockers- well, im not in the mood for it to go dry and something worse to happen $$$$.

My point is, if the hub is off- for replacement for a leak, it cant be tht much more work to pry the seal out and replace, even if its inside the actual axle housing/behind cv joint. I guess it is though. The whole explanation of "its a very dirty job" didnt convince me that it should/would take 2.5hrs.
Old April 27th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
Have them put it on a lift and show you. If it is the axle seal then its not a bad idea do have it done, though you might want to check the breather before doing anything rash.

Where is this being done??

BTW you'd do much better to post this on disco web. We don't know shit about discos here, really.

Quote:
Its the actual axle seal, but apparently there is also a slight leak in the hub seal too (NO leaking can be seen though- besides- thats grease). They already had the hub apart, or else i would stick to the 90wt refill routine, or do it myself. Then again, leaking 3-4oz a day, and no clue how much when driving, upgraded axles and lockers- well, im not in the mood for it to go dry and something worse to happen $$$$.

My point is, if the hub is off- for replacement for a leak, it cant be tht much more work to pry the seal out and replace, even if its inside the actual axle housing/behind cv joint. I guess it is though. The whole explanation of "its a very dirty job" didnt convince me that it should/would take 2.5hrs.
Old April 27th, 2010, 02:17 PM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

Thanks for the help. I havent been able to get on discoweb all day, site must be down or something. And, i dont know shit about em either, just learning from experience.

Hopefully the repairs wont get too expensive once I actually get to take it off road and break a few things.I can do repairs myself, but I am going out of town tonight, and want it so I can get the hell outta the city next weekend and use it for what it was made for.
Old April 27th, 2010, 02:30 PM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
95 DI SR Extreme Kit - 94 RRC LWB
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Thanks for the help. I havent been able to get on discoweb all day, site must be down or something. And, i dont know shit about em either, just learning from experience.

Hopefully the repairs wont get too expensive once I actually get to take it off road and break a few things.I can do repairs myself, but I am going out of town tonight, and want it so I can get the hell outta the city next weekend and use it for what it was made for.
I'm in the process of rebuilding my whole front end on my D1.

If they plan on repacking the bearing and cleaning all parts than yes, it will take 2.5 hours.... but I doubt they will be cleaning and repacking the bearings.

I've never had to replace an axle seal on both my D1s, so it sounds kinda fishy...

Good luck.
Old April 27th, 2010, 02:57 PM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

whats even fishier (i think) is that the paperwork says left front hub assembly and O-ring and left rear hub and o-ring were replaced about 11months ago. I dont think a 2001 d2 has an O-ring in the front, just the rear hub.
Old April 27th, 2010, 03:17 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Is this a front or back axle?
Old April 27th, 2010, 03:24 PM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

the repair is being done on the left front hub/axle area.
Old April 27th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
CLassic...

what garage is performing the repair?

Quote:
the repair is being done on the left front hub/axle area.

Guys don't forget the D2 axles is a total differnet animal than anything on our D90,Disco,RRC vehicles. They are a semi-floating assembly and do not use an enclosed knuckle (swivel ball) up front, so all of our experiences with the earlier stuff don't really relate as far as typical failure modes and repair times are concerened.

Did not notice dweb was down for the day.
Old April 28th, 2010, 08:04 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Got to figure they inflate the real amount of time to replace things. I was told that the dealer charges 10 hours to replace a diff. I know from my experience that it takes me about 2 hours on my back under my truck to replace a diff. So yeah that sounds about right for a dealer repair.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 28th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

And D2's have sealed hubs--no repacking.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions