Idle problem - need advice - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 2nd, 2006, 09:13 PM
fleabus
Dan
None :(

Bringing this thread back to life...

The problem turned out not to be the TPS or ECU since I replaced both and the problem has resurfaced. It seems as though swapping out the ECU helped for a week or so, but now the problem is back

I am replacing the stepper motor tomorrow. Where do I find the fuel pressure regulator on my 97? Someone mentioned cleaning the bugger might help?

Thanks.

-Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 17th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Cholla
Jack Copass
97 D-90 SW

Hey Fleabus, did you get your 97 fixed? I am having same problem, on my 97. The fuel pressure regulator is on the right rear of fuel rail below the right rear corner of plenum, with a short vacuum line running to it from the plenum. I am replacing this regulator also, as it is suspect only delivering 28 psi at at idle, 30 at 2500 rpm, but full line pressure of 38 psi with vacuum disconnected. Watching the fuel pressure gauge at idle, sometimes it will drop to 22-24psi if idle drops to 200-400 rpm. This may be a contributing factor. I have done the same things you have also.

Thanks, Jack
Old January 17th, 2006, 07:51 PM
fleabus
Dan
None :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cholla
Hey Fleabus, did you get your 97 fixed? I am having same problem, on my 97. The fuel pressure regulator is on the right rear of fuel rail below the right rear corner of plenum, with a short vacuum line running to it from the plenum. I am replacing this regulator also, as it is suspect only delivering 28 psi at at idle, 30 at 2500 rpm, but full line pressure of 38 psi with vacuum disconnected. Watching the fuel pressure gauge at idle, sometimes it will drop to 22-24psi if idle drops to 200-400 rpm. This may be a contributing factor. I have done the same things you have also.

Thanks, Jack
Jack-

I haven't fixed it yet, because the problem only seems to happen intermittently (chasing ghosts). Replacing the stepper motor made no difference either. Please let me know if a new fuel pressure regulator helps any.

-Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 17th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Cholla
Jack Copass
97 D-90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleabus
Jack-

I haven't fixed it yet, because the problem only seems to happen intermittently (chasing ghosts). Replacing the stepper motor made no difference either. Please let me know if a new fuel pressure regulator helps any.

-Dan
Dan, I will let you know what happens in a day or two. It was intermittent for me also, but now almost every day, suddenly dropping way low or stalling. I took out my new (2months old) stepper today, and installed my old one. Intermittent drop in idle remains. I read somewhere if the TPS reads below 13%, our Gems system cannot control idle well. However, I don't know how to test this sensor. Maybe one of our compatriots on this board will have the procedure?? Also, I am going to try changing the MAF (Mass Air Flow sensor) with a known good-working one to see if that's it.
Thanks, Jack
Old February 7th, 2006, 06:36 PM
Cholla
Jack Copass
97 D-90 SW

Smile Poor idle resolved!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleabus
Jack-

-Dan
Hello Dan, I changed my fuel pressure regulator, w/improved pressure to specs now, but no change in idle problem. Also installed a new multi-function relay module (black one behind ECU) which powers up MAF, Fuel injectors and pump. No change. After checking my suspect TPS with a digital multimeter, I found the resistance range from 50-106 Ohms at throttle closed position to 3.29K Ohms throttle fully open. The reading was moving up/down constantly at closed position, so I replaced TPS. Then with the new one, Idle immediately up to 2K rpm on starting, then after driving some always about 1K to 1.5K rpm. I learned the Gems computer can reset the "Adaptive variables" with a few days or more of driving, but after a week without much improvement, I went to LR dealer and had the adaptive variables reset by LR Testbook computer, as well as the base idle. Knock on wood, It is working fine now! My old TPS would only cause problem when throttle released, and intermittently. Many thanks to Rob Dassler, Mike Hippert, and Nick Markiw for their expertise in figuring this out!

I hope this info may be of some help, Jack

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
idle