Idle Oil Pressure? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 24th, 2007, 07:43 AM
bomilcar
Stephen Miller
73 Series III Orig Owner

Idle Oil Pressure?

I just put in a ISSPRO electric oil pressure gauge. What pressure should I see at idle? I find in the book it should be 28psi at 2000rpm but I can not find an idle number.

On a different issue. Has anyone replaced the AC pusher fan with an upgraded version? Not much room for larger but anyone try?
Thanks
2011 LR4

"anything that can go wrong has"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 24th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

28psi at 2000rpm? Excellent, I thought mine was low.

Mine idles at around 15psi or so.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old March 24th, 2007, 01:48 PM
mffoster
Mike Foster
94 D90, 2007 Supercharged RR

Oil Pressure at Idle

The oil pressure on these things is almost scarily low. I believe that my factory manual basically called out slightly more than 10 psi per 1000rpm. At idle you should be between 10 and 15 psi. I've had a 94 since new, and put in VDO guages within about 6 months of the purchase. I was pretty nervous originally, but that just seems to be the way these work, and your's sounds fine. You can get a bit more pressure if you take off the sandwich plate to the oil filter and use a carbide to open up and smooth the machined passages. Also, if you switch to something like a Mocal adapter plate with a thermostat to bypass the oil cooler when cold you'll see pressure on the guage much more quickly on a cold start.

If you're really interested I could go look up the exact pressure specs in the factory manual.

Regards,

Mike F
Concord, NH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 24th, 2007, 11:27 PM
bomilcar
Stephen Miller
73 Series III Orig Owner

Thanks guys. Changed oil and filter; 20 50 with a K&N filter and I am getting 30+ psi at 2000 rpm and right arount 10 at idle 750rpm. 10 gives me pause but I guess it is OK. Sure is higher after I dumped the syntec and put in the 20 50. Wha tis going to be interesting is in the heat of the summer 100+ degrees.
Thanks
2011 LR4

"anything that can go wrong has"
Old March 25th, 2007, 01:10 AM
ScottYates
Scott Yates
94 D90 #639, Yellow

Wouldn't changing the bypass spring to a higher weight spring force the pressure up by not allowing oil to bypass the circuit? I am also curious.
Old March 25th, 2007, 09:03 AM
robisonservice
John Robison
2008 Supercharged Range Rover

The idle oil pressure is very much dependent upon the combination of bearing wear and oil viscosity. An older motor with Mobil 1 0-40 might have 2-5psi at idle. The same motor, with dino 20-50, might have 10-12 psi.

When 0-40 oil was introduced in 1998, Mercedes had to drop the oil pressure gauges from its cars because the low numbers people saw at idle scared them, and caused service problems.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
idle