Identifying my gearbox.... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 25th, 2011, 01:28 PM
peachyracer
Peter Stolz
My wifes '94 D90 POE #1500

Registry
Identifying my gearbox....

Hey guys,

I have a '94 D90 #1500 which is having some issues. It doesn't shift into 2nd and 3rd very smoothly especially when it's cold, and there seems to be a lot of slop in the drive train. A while back, I put new u-joints in the prop shafts and just for the heck of it, I drove it around the block with front shaft off to see if the slop got better. It actually got much worse. Don't know what, if anything, that says.

I heard that that slop can develop in the tfer case from leaving the diff lock engaged for longer periods of time that when you actually need it engaged. Like driving around on the trail all day with it engaged. Don't know how true that is.

So anyway, I want to fix these issues, but need to ID my gearbox. I can take it to a tranny place in my area to have them go through the box and case, or should I just get new rebuilt? Advice?

Thanks,
Pete

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 25th, 2011, 03:15 PM
FlaD90
Tom
1994 ST D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Pete,

The easy way to tell is the Shift pattern,

If reverse is next to 1st gear then you have an Lt77

The R380 has reverse on bottom right corner
Old August 25th, 2011, 03:52 PM
peachyracer
Peter Stolz
My wifes '94 D90 POE #1500

Registry
R380 it is, then! Thanks!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions