Identification - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 5th, 2010, 11:19 AM
lynchee
Dennis Lynch
94 D90 #699

Identification

I figured I would ask the experts.
Is this a Series IIA?

http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/1707046873.html

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 5th, 2010, 11:22 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

It is a SII or an SIIa from 1959-1966. Assuming the indicator stalk is factory it is a 1962ish-1966 SIIa.
Old May 5th, 2010, 11:24 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Yup, 1965ish (could be just about anything 1967-1964ish)

------ Follow up post added May 5th, 2010 11:25 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
It is a SII or an SIIa from 1959-1966. Assuming the indicator stalk is factory it is a 1962ish-1966 SIIa.
Later IIA tail lights.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 5th, 2010, 12:24 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Mike,

I don't think it can be a 1967 because it has the individual wiper motors.

As far as the rear lights, my 1959 had those lucas lights from the factory (at least it appeared that way and there were no additional holes from another type of light). I know most associate sparto rear lenses with the early trucks, but I have seen other early trucks with the Lucas lights too. Not sure why, I was told (1) it was a north american thing or (2) sometimes they would run out of the other ones.

Based on the turn signal stalk, I agree though that it is a SIIa not an SII.

edit: now that I look at it, those are later heater vents too and it seems to have later style rubber bumpers on the hood for the spare tire.
Old May 5th, 2010, 12:48 PM
lynchee
Dennis Lynch
94 D90 #699

You guys are awesome.
Hopefully I will have some better pics soon.
Old May 6th, 2010, 03:01 PM
lynchee
Dennis Lynch
94 D90 #699

http://picasaweb.google.com/lynchie296/OldRover#

Should I buy it? My fiance wants it, so maybe I should on that alone.
I am afraid the woman who owns it wants too much$$$.
Someone told her that if restored it was worth upwards of $50K.... She didn't believe me when I disagreed.
Old May 6th, 2010, 03:20 PM
evilfij
evilfij

It is worth 2k-2500 IMHO.

Looks about as rust free as a series truck in NH can be and it appears to be all there. Does it turn over? It looks like the original 2.25 diesel. Does it have a PTO driven hydraulic pump on the back of the T-case? Does it have a title and/or VIN plate? It also has lots of goodies on it. Dual aux factory gauge, hand throttle, kodiak Mark IV heater, Bellview winch etc.
Old May 6th, 2010, 03:37 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
The VIN plate says it's a IIA. It've seen way worse. It looks mostly complete and unmolested. Lot's of potential. I think Ron has the right ballpark. I might even go to $3 - 3.5 k in a moment of weakness.
Old May 6th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Wow, crazy market in the States.... That might fetch $500 around here.
Old May 6th, 2010, 04:03 PM
evilfij
evilfij

The nicer trucks in western canada (less rust) seem to be in line with the US prices albeit a third or so cheaper because you all have more of them.

Ron

------ Follow up post added May 6th, 2010 04:54 PM ------

In NH you can register a truck as long as you have that VIN plate and a bill of sale.
Old May 6th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
no farking way that is worth anything over 1k. it looks fairly straight but it is going to need everything. BTDT more times than I care to recollect. Body off, r n r chassis, brakes, motor, trans, new suspension all around, and probably rewire. bulkhead does look ok which is nice. the mickey d's color scheme has got to go, maybe you can pressure wash the yellow off. bet it was one of mowry's trucks....

I'd offer $500 bucks and budget at least $5k to put back on the road in stock trim. $50 grand? maybe if it was a 5 door, and someone spent close to that rebuiilding it. Money talks, bullshit walks.
Old May 6th, 2010, 05:56 PM
SeattleRRC
Woody
1990 RRC SWB, 1994 D90 ST

I'd concur with somewhere around $500 for that. Max.
Old May 6th, 2010, 06:13 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Sorry, but $500 buys that truck if you are buying from someone who does not know what they are selling. The bulkhead on that is really nice and the frame looks better than a lot of NAS D90s. Good trucks to restore are few and far between these days and that looks like one.

But yes, 5k would be a fair restoration budget assuming
Old May 7th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchee View Post
Someone told her that if restored it was worth upwards of $50K.... She didn't believe me when I disagreed.
You might find someone crazy enough to pay $50k if it were restored to showroom condition and were willing to sit on it for a long time, but that would be way above the average price for for even a "like new" 60's 109 Regular.

If I were looking for one I'd probably go $1,000. There weren't many 109 Regulars in the US and it looks to be worth bringing back to life. It looks to be worthy of a restoration.

Ah, just looked at the photos, I didn't know it was a diesel. Even fewer in the US. If I had the money and were looking I'd easily go a grand and restore it. That could become a very nice example of a mid-60's LHD diesel 109.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old May 7th, 2010, 10:33 AM
lynchee
Dennis Lynch
94 D90 #699

Thanks for the input guys. If I can find a place to store it for a few months, I will make an offer.
Always wanted a little pickup
Old May 7th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Good luck with it, and I mean that sincerely, it looks like a good basis for a project.

For those who disagree with my valuation, there is a difference between potential market value and what something is really worth. I know that doesn't make sense from a purely economics standpoint but I am basing that on a long resume and demonstrated ability to buy, evaluate, repair, and revive rusty and broken down Land Rovers, at a financial loss. You can't compare a mid 90's D90 chassis to that of an old series. Given the similar operating environments the series chassis seem to fair a little better, particularly the early ones. Perhaps other series anoraks from up north can comment on that. Most of my personal LR's and for-hire projects have been from the NE US and Canada. That 109 looks as though it has been sitting in the woods since well before the first NAS defender rolled off the production line.
it is possible that a closer personal inspection might reveal something that raises the value. I still stand at $500-1000, leaning closer to $500, based on the photos alone. You can get one already running and in great shape for $6500, and a 2.25 diesel does not really add value in this part of the world. Uncommon, yes, but that is not synonymous with "in demand." The Series market in the US was seriously inflated in the mid-late 90's but that is no longer the case, in fact i would say it is almost back down to a rational level.

BTW 5k is not a restoration. 5k is a refurbishment to running operating, roadworthy condition, by someone who is patient and resourceful, performing all or most of the work on their own. Buy all your parts from US vendors new and on a "need it here this weekend" mentality and you can bank on closer to 15k. Pay someone to do the work for you and include a professional spray job and you are outside my sphere of personal experience but I bet it will run close to 30k if not more.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions