Ideas on adapting SeriesIII windscreen - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 10th, 2009, 01:36 AM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Ideas on adapting SeriesIII windscreen

I finally noticed that a series III windshield does not bolt up to a defender bulkhead. The hole is 1 inch off towards the center.
Series III has weld on hinges.

I dont want to weld anything on my bulkhead.
So I have two potions.
1- Drill a hole in the windshield and weld a sleeve in. then spray it with cold galv.
2- Weld a bolt/post on the side of the hinge. (tricky and ugly)

I'm think I'm going to drill. But I wanted see if there is a better option... any magic adapter out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 10th, 2009, 07:45 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Have you noticed that a Series windshield also doesn't bolt to a Defender roof?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old December 10th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
IIa screen with the side hinge/bolt would be easier to adapt and also to change later. not to mention that arrangement is much stronger than the SIII setup. Don't know quite why they changed that

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90user
any magic adapter out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 10th, 2009, 11:02 AM
DD90
DD
94 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching
IIa screen with the side hinge/bolt would be easier to adapt and also to change later. not to mention that arrangement is much stronger than the SIII setup. Don't know quite why they changed that
Would that require welding to the bulkhead too?? I'm interested in putting IIa winscreen and roof on a 110 and wanted to know what would be involved ahead of time.

Sorry if this is a partial hijack.
Old December 10th, 2009, 11:17 AM
D90user
steve

This is for the ambulance body thats going on the 110.

I already have a Series III windscreen...too bad. at least I got it for 30$ so hacking is not that big of a deal.

The brackets are similar to the the defender ones except they are welded to the bulkhead and have a slightly more narrow pattern. Look in to the series II as suggested above.
Old December 10th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
yes it would. if you search around on the web for photos of some SII or IIa trucks you will see how it works

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD90
Would that require welding to the bulkhead too?? I'm interested in putting IIa winscreen and roof on a 110 and wanted to know what would be involved ahead of time.

Sorry if this is a partial hijack.
Old December 10th, 2009, 08:09 PM
D90user
steve

I think you are right. Although I think I'm going to try to adapt it now then dip it later.

Will do on the updates. The body is starting to come off this weekend, then on with your truck cab for the hillbilly ride north. I think I'm going to cut a trash can for wheel arches... it will be great.

In case anyone doesn't know Jeff is the man. He is letting me borrow a truck cab so I can go pick up the ambulance body in Washington. He actually cut the center bulkhead off an old damaged tub for the occasion....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0165.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	271.5 KB
ID:	23614  
Old December 10th, 2009, 08:18 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D90user
He actually cut the center bulkhead off an old damaged tub for the occasion....
And he has a deftness with tools that would make Evil Ron give props.

Old December 11th, 2009, 07:46 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
And he has a deftness with tools that would make Evil Ron give props.
True. Nice work on that one.
Old December 11th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
We cut 1/4" aluminum plate on the table saw here. Birmabright would be no problem. Slightly more specialized carbide tipped blade will cut up to 1/4" steel without fuss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs
Use a carbide tipped blade, and you are good to go. I used a dull bent 24t framing blade and it worked OK. With a new blade and with a higher tooth count, it would make really nice cuts.

-Jeff
Old December 11th, 2009, 01:51 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

You need to shorten your wiper arms and run 10in blades too. In fact, I would have to check to be sure, but the wipers might not work at all do to the center bar on the series windscreen. I have seen people fit a custom one piece glass to eliminate the center rib in the windscreen. If it were me, I would try to adapt the roof to the defender screen, but YMMV.

Ron
Old December 11th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
When swapping from Series windscreen to Defender windscreen, you do need longer arms, and the position changes as well. So i suspect this is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
You need to shorten your wiper arms and run 10in blades too. In fact, I would have to check to be sure, but the wipers might not work at all do to the center bar on the series windscreen. I have seen people fit a custom one piece glass to eliminate the center rib in the windscreen. If it were me, I would try to adapt the roof to the defender screen, but YMMV.

Ron
Old December 12th, 2009, 03:10 PM
D90user
steve

One more thing to the list.
Adapting the defender windscreen is an option but not in the short term, I will need to look but I suspect it will be a lot of work.

I really wish I didn't just put new glass in the series frame. I was thinking about cutting the center bar out...but I kind of like it.

For the time being I'm just going try shorter blades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij

Ron

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
series, seriesiii, siii