ideas for a d90 lumber rack - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 22nd, 2011, 07:04 PM
wilyliang
Peter
'95 D90 SW #441

Registry
ideas for a d90 lumber rack

Hey guys: any good ideas out there for a lumber rack for a '95 d90 SW? I was going to pirate the Brownchurch clips and fab something temporary (possibly a wood solution), but am scheming a bolt-on tube steel rack to take a bit more weight.

Would appreciate any wisdom/pix/ideas out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 22nd, 2011, 07:22 PM
lordhelemt
Paul
1995 D90 #2620 & NAS 110

I was thinking of doing something similar to load lengths of steel. My idea was to make some brackets that bolt into the existing tabs on the roll cage and then make a bar that bolts into the rear receiver (kind of like a bike rack) that would support the material in the rear. I haven't done it yet but will once the new garage is done.
RIP 1994 D90 #999 (engine fire 2002). We'll miss you.
Old December 22nd, 2011, 07:53 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Home Depot has a truck you can rent for $19.95 per hour.

I suggest you go that route.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 22nd, 2011, 08:32 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Or rent a trailer. You don't want that much weight up top.
Old December 22nd, 2011, 10:19 PM
wilyliang
Peter
'95 D90 SW #441

Registry
Noted. Usually the lumber yard delivers, but I'd like to bring a few sticks or a ladder to the jobsite every once in a while.

What kind of weight would you put on a rack (or roll cage)? I'm assuming the roll cage supports the entire weight of the vehicle upside down (minus whoever wasn't wearing their seat belts... did that once in a CJ-8!), but any guesses on the capacity of the roof/gutter rails?
Old December 25th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

My 1997 original owners manual page 55: "The maximum roof rack (factory approved rack) load is 165 lbs (75kg)."
My factory spare tire weighs 80 lbs.

A company that sells some really nice gutter mount feet is (they call them legs).

http://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com...search_results

They make a great platform to build on. I was able to mount my old Surco rack on four of their "legs".
Old December 25th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I have those legs on my Front Runner Wind Cheetah rack. They're solid.

If you're planning on overloading your rack (which I don't recommend) I suggest you get more feet than recommended to spread the weight more evenly. Get at least 6 feet. I have 10 (6 front runner and 4 tabs on the roll cage that the rack is attached to).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis
My 1997 original owners manual page 55: "The maximum roof rack (factory approved rack) load is 165 lbs (75kg)."
My factory spare tire weighs 80 lbs.

A company that sells some really nice gutter mount feet is (they call them legs).

http://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com...search_results

They make a great platform to build on. I was able to mount my old Surco rack on four of their "legs".

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, ac, d90, rack