Ideal years - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 9th, 2012, 07:48 PM
scrubs
henery

Ideal years

Hi been on the hunt for a used D-90 and have been reading on the conversions of RHD to LHD
is or are there ideal years for this & years to avoid?
at best in reading, can be easily done though most reading hasnt found a ideal year or two work with
Scrubs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 9th, 2012, 07:55 PM
maleger
Marc-Andre Leger
94D90 CDN#18 http://rover.leger.ca

Registry
You could buy a Defender in continental Europe that is already LHD. You should look to get the most recent that can be imported. Defenders are very common in France, Belgium and the Netherlands.
Old August 9th, 2012, 07:56 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Assuming you are looking for an import since you mention RHD conversion I would say go for the best one you can find that is over 25 years old.

They are all going to be pretty much the same to convert so go for condition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 9th, 2012, 08:12 PM
scrubs
henery

well it's the ones here in the US
seems the RHD one are in the price range i could afford,and in reading the conv. threads looks to be pretty much a simple foward process, less the knowledge of years to pursue & avoid
I'd like one for a daily driver for winter,my series iii is just not ideal for driving in the illinois cold weather...brakes ,heater,less raido,poor head lights,no insulation..ect
Old August 9th, 2012, 08:17 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubs
I'd like one for a daily driver for winter,my series iii is just not ideal for driving in the illinois cold weather...brakes ,heater,less raido,poor head lights,no insulation..ect
You realize you just described an LR90, right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old August 9th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubs View Post
Many of these things you describe are lacking in import 110s and 90s as well. I had to have a curtain made to keep the heat in the cabin. I had to add a radio and speakers to my 110. I replaced the headlights and they are kinda ok, but I still see a shadow of my truck from the person behind me while driving in the dark. I have drum brakes in the rear and not a single bit of insulation.

Having said that, the truck you have your eye on might have a couple of those "creature comforts". Also, I drive mine every day I can

Good luck
Old August 9th, 2012, 08:35 PM
scrubs
henery

didn't know they lacked the creature comforts mentioned before....folks don't talk about that..... or I haven't read those threads (smiling)
still...not that wild about driving the Rover in winter,not a garage queen by any measures,just would like a 90 to drive instead....or so I thought (VW golf,maybe?)
Old August 9th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
Well I have never driven a Series III so I can't speak to their accommodations. Some of the 90s you come across will actually have a headliner and door panels. All that will help
Old August 9th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

If you get one here in the States check the condition of the RUST. Yes all of them can be converted over to LHD with the earlier years being a bit easier as they will have the indentations in the firewall for the LHD cut outs. But all the older trucks, 25 years old, wouldn't be a hard conversion. The kicker is getting the bits for the conversion. If you want to do a proper Defender conversion some of the parts are no longer available new. When you do find them, used, expect to pay a lot. If you can find a LHD then it would make things much easier.
If you do not want to spend a lot of money you would be better off with a Discovery. You will not spend nearly as much. Of course you wouldn't get as many looks either. LOL
Old August 9th, 2012, 09:10 PM
scrubs
henery

Thank you, I enjoyed working on the series iii and thought that I'd like to work on a RHD to LHD 90
at best I figure that the eariler 80's were the ones to pursue for this, just looking for what year they stopped making the frames for either LHD or RHD
a few folks have the RHD's and sound like they would like to move on from them as bad as I'd like to get into one......maybe not
Old August 9th, 2012, 09:39 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubs
Just looking for what year they stopped making the frames for either LHD or RHD
To date all frames that I am aware of are setup for both rhd and lhd.

That is why I said year does not matter, find one based on condition over year.
Old August 9th, 2012, 09:57 PM
scrubs
henery

Thank you ,Dave
Do you think the NLA parts would be cosmetic only, or could be covered up by something else
I'm after a daily driver to impress myself & the pure joy of driving one, so missing a grabhandle on the passengerside wouldn't matter much at all, nor the passenger comfort items
primarily I'm the only person in there
Old August 9th, 2012, 10:06 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
As far as I know the LHD heater blower assembly is one if the big ticket items. Not cosmetic but purely functional. Many early bulkheads have cutouts so things like pedals can be fairly easily swapped over.
Old August 9th, 2012, 10:19 PM
scrubs
henery

That's one ,read about using a chevy or jag heater blower motor to help the Series heater problems out,maybe for this too
any others?
I really think it would be fun to do this ,turned down a sale here because of it being RHD not sure if it's still for sale though will wait to hear of any other items before checking again
& reread previous threads again
Old August 10th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

If you can find a LHD heater they are about $800.00 right now, new. You could use one of the aftermarket kits like they use for "Hot Rods". I have a friend that did that on his to try to get a better A/C system.
Old August 10th, 2012, 01:27 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Another option for heat -- if you want to install an aftermarket AC kit, you can buy one that has heat and defrost as well and skip worrying about finding a LR LHD heater box.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions