Iceland Rovers - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 10th, 2005, 07:47 PM
paulthar
Paul Kaiser

Iceland Rovers

I am currently considering modifying a 110 in the same vein as the Icaland Rovers. does anyone have pics or specs for these trucks? I am curious as to how they are set up for the conditions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 10th, 2005, 08:54 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Hi Paul,
There have been a number a write ups in the various LR mags over the past few years on those trucks. If no one posts anything you can use, if you feel energetic, you could scour though the back issue listings and maybe order the older copies.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old May 10th, 2005, 09:27 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Yes, this is the company that at least Land Rover Enthusiast has covered the past year.

http://www.icelandrovers.is/

There are a few pics on the site.

Nicholas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 10th, 2005, 10:39 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthar
I am currently considering modifying a 110 in the same vein as the Icaland Rovers. does anyone have pics or specs for these trucks? I am curious as to how they are set up for the conditions.
Why?

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old May 11th, 2005, 06:13 AM
paulthar
Paul Kaiser

because I planon using it in a similar environment, Keep in mind, however, it is not going to be as intense i.e 38-44 inch tires.
Old May 11th, 2005, 09:03 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

So, synthetic oils, an extra battery, engine preheater, cabin heater and chains. What's the bid deal? Oh, maybe an Iceland Rover decal makes all the difference!
Old May 11th, 2005, 09:42 AM
DiscoDino
Nadim Samara
1992 Disco "Dino"

Yeah, too much hype for nothing...big flares, weak axles, and big tyres...
'04 Disco II stock
'07BMW G650X Challenge (farkled)
Old May 11th, 2005, 10:49 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthar
because I planon using it in a similar environment, Keep in mind, however, it is not going to be as intense i.e 38-44 inch tires.
So not as big as 38, then maybe 35-37? There are a few of us here on the frm running in the 35 to 37 range with only mid lifts and some fender trimming, but depending on what you plan on doing you will need to beef up the axles and diffs some.
Old May 11th, 2005, 11:42 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Paul, contact Jesse at BWO. He drives a 110 with 37's.
Old May 13th, 2005, 01:24 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Sweet pic...

N
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ICELANDROVER.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	3164  

Old May 18th, 2005, 05:43 AM
Kev Baldwin
Kevin Baldwin
2.4 Tdci 110 Utilty Wagon

Iceland Rovers trucks are all built by one company-SS Gislasson. Although they run a LR workshop and general 4x4 repair shop, not surprisingly, they one of companies behind the Iceland Rovers off-road tour company. You could try contacting them via Iceland Rovers website.

The work they carry out isn't quite as simple as fitting a secondary heater...

Rather than fit mega-extended springs, to fit 38's and 44's, they modify the suspension and steering bracketry so that everything is dropped, extended or lengthened on the chassis and axles. Things like extended steering drop-arms are made locally in Iceland and have be certificated by the authorities before fitment. In fact, any vehicle mods have to be certified by the authorities before a vehicle hits the road and any work carried out must be done by a governent approved shop. Ironically, this measure was brought in to stop Viking rednecks shipping in crappy parts from the states and to keep 'beater's on 44's off Icelandic roads!

The front prop gets a double cardon while the rear axle is actually moved back in the chassis a fraction to accommodate the larger tyres under the arches. Iceland Rovers 110's are actually running a 111.5” wheelbase. Wheel-arches have to be re-profiled and fitted with fibreglass extensions to keep the rubber covered up. To keep things aesthetically correct, aluminium running boards fill the gap between the protruding arches.

The deep dish steel wheels everyone in Iceland runs on are made locally using the split and banding technique. Interstingly without the deep dish wheels, which in turn, require the use of those wide fibreglass fender flares, their visual impact wouldn't be so great. A 110 on 44's though is a different matter !

Maxidrive axles are run in both front and rear together with ARB's and regeared diffs. Crawler boxes are common especially when running 44's.

If you don't want to go to 38's, then all this will be of little consequence. Up to 35's and you can get away with the standard mods to gearing and suspension.

The snowy pic above was from a trip I did with Iceland Rovers a couple of years ago.

Kev
Old May 18th, 2005, 09:03 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Oh wow. Maxidrives and 44's!! Good thing they keep it in the snow at all times. I would break those things just pulling out of the parking lot.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old May 18th, 2005, 10:00 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Paul,

I'm glad someone who knew about these trucks first-hand gave you some useful & very interesting information. Instead of some who just shoot off at the hip because they think they know everything about synthetic oils & stickers ... once again...

I tried with a helpful link and picture which was all I had, but I'm glad Kevin Baldwin chimed in and smacked it down ... Great post Kevin.

Cheers & long live the D90 SOURCE.

Nicholas Orros

oh yeah... I scanned in that Article from the Feb 2005 Issue of LRE about Iceland Rovers going on some tour through the Iceland Volcano's... It's pretty neat. Not too 'hi-res' but can go that route if some express interest... Just trying to help. Oh there's another page, but could only upload 5 photos...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pg1.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	3187   Click image for larger version

Name:	pg2.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	3188  

Name:	pg3.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	290.7 KB
ID:	3189   Click image for larger version

Name:	pg4.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	3190  

Name:	pg5.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	3191  

Old May 18th, 2005, 05:58 PM
DiscoDino
Nadim Samara
1992 Disco "Dino"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Oh wow. Maxidrives and 44's!! Good thing they keep it in the snow at all times. I would break those things just pulling out of the parking lot.
LOL! my POV exactly...
'04 Disco II stock
Old May 19th, 2005, 10:37 PM
asator
Thor Jonsson

Paul,

Keep in mind the reason many of the 4x4's in Iceland have such large tires is to navigate over deep snow on the glaciers. It all started back in the day when guys would take any 4x4, a Suzuki Samurai for example fit it with 44's, a chevy 350 for power and loran (pre-GPS days) for navigation on the second largest glacier on the planet. The 44's also help lift the trucks to cross deep rivers because there are few bridges over rivers inland. The 44's also provide a soft ride over endless rock covered roads and lava fields.

I want to address Kevin Bladwins comment why the authorities check and approve modifications: The authorities have been inspecting vehicles for decades in Iceland and if there is something wrong, you fix it or you don't get your tags to drive. So it's not just to keep beaters off the road, although it helps control that.

In my opinion the key to 4x4 mods is to figure out exaclty what sort of four weeling you are after and whether or not it's a daily driver, then make the modification selections based on the use. Are you after rock crawling, mud, snow, safari style or street flash??
Good Luck
Thor
Old May 19th, 2005, 10:45 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I haven't been to CT for a few years now. But, the last time I was there I don't remember seeing any massive continent encompassing glaciers. Looks like that Global Warming is crap.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old May 20th, 2005, 06:56 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
I haven't been to CT for a few years now. But, the last time I was there I don't remember seeing any massive continent encompassing glaciers. Looks like that Global Warming is crap.

I was waiting for that for about a week...

Nicholas

Old May 20th, 2005, 09:34 AM
DaveHuny
Van Der Waal
none

Here, you can see the glacier just up my driveway...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0256.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	3199  
Old May 21st, 2005, 04:31 AM
DiscoDino
Nadim Samara
1992 Disco "Dino"

Quote:
Originally Posted by asator
Paul,

Keep in mind the reason many of the 4x4's in Iceland have such large tires is to navigate over deep snow on the glaciers. It all started back in the day when guys would take any 4x4, a Suzuki Samurai for example fit it with 44's, a chevy 350 for power and loran (pre-GPS days) for navigation on the second largest glacier on the planet. The 44's also help lift the trucks to cross deep rivers because there are few bridges over rivers inland. The 44's also provide a soft ride over endless rock covered roads and lava fields.

I want to address Kevin Bladwins comment why the authorities check and approve modifications: The authorities have been inspecting vehicles for decades in Iceland and if there is something wrong, you fix it or you don't get your tags to drive. So it's not just to keep beaters off the road, although it helps control that.

In my opinion the key to 4x4 mods is to figure out exaclty what sort of four weeling you are after and whether or not it's a daily driver, then make the modification selections based on the use. Are you after rock crawling, mud, snow, safari style or street flash??
Good Luck
Thor
Thor,

Nice post up - I liked 2 points in particular:
1. That the authorities acknowledge the need for these mods, and act accordingly, within reason - even in Lebanon we're starting to have issues with the authorities (corruption helps in this case)
2. That one should build something that one NEEDS for the terrain one will encounter ("one" highly influenced by the latest Star Wars Episode )...ANYTHING on 44s looks great in my opinion, but I don't need THAT much a tire, I do what I need...and I only recommend others do what they need as well...bottom line, if you are NOT going over 95% snow and 5% rocky trails, 44s and MDs won't work...

Nadim
'04 Disco II stock
Old February 15th, 2010, 01:41 PM
IPSC_GUY
Peter/Lesbo
1983 110, 1985 110, 1993 110...

Here is a link that Overlander point me to when I asked about the mods Icelandic 110s go through.

http://www.4x4offroads.com/land-rover-defender-1.html

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions