Defender Source Forum banner

I took the plunge and bought a D90! Now....

Tags
90 d90 ht
4K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  truls 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
....I can look at this group more from the inside than the outside, since I just purchased a D-90. In fact, I bought Brad's white '94 -- the one with the cedar wood top:

FS: 94D90 ST with cedar strip removable hard top

So all my stupid newbie questions weren't just idle wastes of time! ;)

Now, my first problem is that the truck is in Atlanta, and I'm in the Los Angeles area. Any recommendations as to an inexpensive and safe way to get the truck to LA? Driving it is not an option for me at this time. I've heard some horror stories regarding vehicle moving companies (a month to deliver, showed up with two flat tires, etc).

The second thing I'll mention is that I'll be selling the wood top and using the soft top for now. Later I plan to try to mod an aluminum top to fit. If someone in the Atlanta or LA area is interested in the top, let me know!

Thanks!

#2 ·
There are lots of reputable motor transports out there. I had my soft top shipped from Illinois to Houston for around $600. It took a few days, but then it was well worth the wait.

I would think looking up a motor transport company in the Atlanta area would be the way to go - get them to quote you a price. Mine was done back in '97 so I am sure someone else will have some more up to date information.

Congratulations.

#3 ·
Keep the top!

That thing is cool.

You are going to have issues shipping that thing. With the rack on it the hieght will be such that it will either put the truck over max if placed on top or not permit a vehicle above if on the lower deck.

I ran into the same issue when trying to ship a disco that was over hieght. Make sure you tell them how tall it is and get an OK or expect to pay an extra $500+ over the quote.

BTW after 3 weeks of not picking it up I had to go get my 90 because the f'in shippers sucked.

#4 ·
Jason,

Congrats on your purchase. I am in Burbank and I have a hard top off a 88" Land Rover if you are looking for somthing to use when you start fabricating a new top. As far as transport companies? I would hire someone to drive it out. I had a bad experience a few months ago when I sold my 109. Don,t cut corners if you do use a transport company.

Attachments

#7 ·
One of our members is coming from Atlanta to Kansas Aug 12 or 13 with an empty trailer. I do not know if that helps you or not. He is picking up some stuff from me and heading back. Is the top flamable?

Jim Pendleton

#8 ·
Dont over estimate the time it takes to go coast to coast! I did San Fran to South Carolina in 2.5 days over the 4th of July weekend. It was 44 hours of driving in a 52 hour period, and I was in an M6, but since you'd be starting in atlanta, you'd have that much less to drive! I'd do it for you if I had a free weekend!

#10 ·
Thanks for the replies, guys.

I've heard about as many near-horror stories with auto shipping companies as painless delivery stories... I'm not sure I'm willing to play the 50% odds - that's barely better than Vegas! But I might have to if I don't find an alternative.

I've received quotes from $800-$1200, but I did not mention the height of the roof rack (just vehicle/model etc)...so, that might get me into trouble. Thanks for the heads-up on that..I didn't even think about it!

I did find a drive-away place that offerred $450 to have it driven out. I am not sure I trust that, though. I'm sure they wouldn't be tempted to take it off-roading a bit... :) Renting a trailer from Uhaul was $850, and from Penske $405 (one-way rental) but then something still has to pull it so that doesn't really help...

@Ron
You want to buy my cedar top?? I'm definitely going to fab something from an aluminum one & don't want a cedar planter in the back yard :) PS I hope you don't sell your D (just don't tell your wife I said that!)

@Kevin
Do you have the entire top? The lift-gate too? Can you bare to part with it? It looks like it's keeping your lawn mower dry ;)

@Jim P
Hmmm, well, Kansas is closer than Atlanta....I'd have to look into how that could work, since I could possibly do that drive over a very full weekend...let me think about that. But, flammable, I'd guess yes. The thing that concerns me now is why you asked!

@Jim C
Sounds like a fun trip -- don't get me wrong, I love road trips! I just can't take any time from work right now & I could barely afford a weekend. My friend moved from Atlanta recently and did the drive in a bit under 3 full days & I've done it from Chicago to LA in a comfortable 4 days. That would be a good bonding experince with my new D, though, if I had the time!

@Phillip
When exactly is that? I don't know you, but I already trust you more than a moving company ;)

#11 ·
jaherring said:
I've heard about as many near-horror stories with auto shipping companies as painless delivery stories... I'm not sure I'm willing to play the 50% odds - that's barely better than Vegas!
Yeah, here's another data point for you. I used Accelerated Services (www.autotrans1.com) to ship my D-90 out from Seattle to Colorado. Good service, good price and it arrived in a week.

When it came time to ship my Wife's new MINI out from New York, I figured I'd use them again. WRONG. It's been three weeks and I'm waiting on the @#$#@! car. I'll never use them again, and I'd suggest the same to anyone else. :angry

#13 ·
I think the top would not survive shipping!

You could do KS to LA in a weekend

I did Phila to TN ROUND TRIP towing in 30hours, that was a mess though. The upper rad hose blew on the disco half way down, my co-pilot noticed before she started to get hot and I fixed it with a tie down strap, duct tape and some water I scrounged from a drinking fountain. It held the whole trip.

#15 ·
Welcome to the club! I drove mine myself from Colorado.

You might also look to ship it inside a container so as to avoid possible random damage.

#19 ·
@Phillip
What sort of arrangement would you have in mind to drive it out to Los Angeles, besides all expenses and return flight paid? You can email me: jaherring at usa d0t net.

@Dennis
Make me an offer - I'm not sure what the cedar top is worth. Any idea? It will include the cedar kick panels and center console piece. If you do want it, it's probably best to work this out before the truck leaves Atlanta...it's currently marooned at my friend's house until I figure out a transport method.

I am not sure what you mean about the basked fitting in the back - unless you are referring to the possibility of taking it off for transport. I'm pretty sure it will not fit, since it rides on the tub rim and as far as I know the basket part of the rack itself is one piece (correct me if I'm wrong - I've not taken a close look at it).

@Wicks
Thanks! Shipping the truck enclosed adds 35-50% to the cost from the quotes I've been receiving... for that amount I would be tempted to make arrangements to take off work!

@Kevin
I guess your top won't fit, unfortunately. That would have been too convenient!

@Truls
I don't know, I haven't priced RT to Oslo in awhile, but a requirement would be that you take me back with you for a couple weeks to hike fjords and drink vodka (or is that only a Finnish vice?) - besides all the blonde women, how do you keep warm in those long winter nights? ;)

#22 ·
here in norway we drink aqevit and eat dryed meat. regarding hiking among the fjords, i live in the bottom of the worlds longest fjord, sognefjorden. during the cold mohnts we go on offroading and live in tents during the weekend. it can be as lov as 30 degrees belove in celsius. check www.nlrk.no
and serch for pics from all regions. next year we have a jubileum rally. norwegian landrover club is 30 years old.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.