- I think my transfer case is almost dead - - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 31st, 2005, 08:49 AM
Heath
Heath Ahrens
1995/D-90

- I think my transfer case is almost dead -

Just wondering if anyone knows the years for a 230 t-case that will work with a NA spec 1995 5 speed manual d-90? I was thinking I can just get one from the junk yard out of a disco or range...
What years have the "1.2" ratio? Any special seals, tools or tricks that I will need when replacing?

The current case "clicks" when I down shift... I have altered my driving habits to avoid down shifting. The clicking has gotten worse fast. It is starting to act "stuck" when I realease the clutch on pavement.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Heath
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 31st, 2005, 09:41 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I would check the fluid, if there are metal bits in it you may be doomed.
Old October 31st, 2005, 09:51 AM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

Pull the plate & have a little looksy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 31st, 2005, 09:55 AM
Heath
Heath Ahrens
1995/D-90

Yes...
Unfortunately there was some shrapnel in there when I recently drained and re-filled.
I need to find myself a t-case soon. I really don’t have the time to rebuild mine. I do know that the clicking occurs in hi and low range. I tested this out… Maybe it is just the input or output shaft? In which case I could probably get a used case cheaper… I just need to know what cases will swap into mine.
:-}
Old October 31st, 2005, 10:01 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Most of the case's over here will have the 1.2 high range, the only thing you really need to worry about is the input shaft, I think on some auto tranny Rovers they had longer splined outputs or something. Rob D would know, wait a few and I bet he'll reply. Is it your daily driver? If not you might be able to send your case to him for a rebuild. Forawrd air is pretty reasonable as far as shipping goes.
Old October 31st, 2005, 10:52 AM
Heath
Heath Ahrens
1995/D-90

Yes... Daily driver... I have a 2 seater convertible, but I have to sell it soon. I could drive the convertible for a week or so, but I hate putting miles on it, and it is no good in bad weather.

I am trying to get the defender in "winter condition" so I can drive it and feel safe about it running well, without having to freeze my hands working on it this winter.
Old October 31st, 2005, 11:12 AM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Thanks Mike!
Yes, I can rebuild the existing transfer case or I have a 1.2 exchange unit for a D90 5 speed in stock and ready to go. You could go used but you may be buying someone elses problems. An LT230 out of a series one Disco automatic is a drop in replacement if you remove the shift interlock solenoid and seal the hole. An LT230 out of a D2 can be used but more work is involved in making it fit. If you are thinking of a ratio change, now would be a good time. I have 1.4 and 1.6 t-box cores that I can rebuild. I can also upgrade the center diff with a GBR one piece cross shaft for added strength or install any of the available crawler gears during the rebuild.
Input spline count is the same in all LT230s. Spline length is not an issue on the R380s...only on the ZF Auto trannies. I would remove the PTO cover and input gear on your transfer box and check the splines. Your clicking sound may be the spline wear problem, in which case, you are looking at a transmission as well.
Rob

Also, FYI, a crated LT230 weighs in at just shy of 150lbs and can ship Fedex Ground to a business address for around $100.
Old October 31st, 2005, 11:43 AM
Heath
Heath Ahrens
1995/D-90

I hope that the t-case is the only thing bad here...
Does anyone know how I could properly diagnose this?
I have access to a lift at my friend's shop.
Is there any way this could be something else?
(there is a clicking noise when I downshift, and recently releasing the clutch in first gear from a stop the wheels jerk a bit, almost like when you are stuck.

I am short on cash. Way short for any kind of rebuit.
I was hoping this tranny/t-case would hold up...
I drive the thing under 2k rpms almost always. And I haven't risked wheeling in forever and a day.
If I sell this thing it would be a shame. I have had it since 1999 and love the truck.
Old October 31st, 2005, 12:53 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Heath,
I would pull it onto the lift and pull off the PTO plate on the back of the t-box (6 bolts). Remove the cover and bearing retainer plate and withdraw the input gear. You can then inspect the gear and the transmission splines for wear. You can also remove the bottom cover from the t-box and inspect the gears. If the splines look ok and the gears are not damaged and you are sure that the noise is internal in the t-box, you may be having a problem with the center diff...a broken gear or a fractured shaft. With the diff lock disengaged and the wheels off of the ground and the park brake released, try spinning one driveshaft by hand. The other shaft should spin the opposite direction...if not, suspect a center diff problem.
Rob
Old October 31st, 2005, 06:16 PM
Heath
Heath Ahrens
1995/D-90

Thanks!
I will let you know the results.
It might not be for a couple days, but the sooner I have a chance the better.
Old November 1st, 2005, 08:23 PM
Heath
Heath Ahrens
1995/D-90

Does anyone know if a t-case from a 94 Range Classic will work with the 1995 D-90 manual trans?
Old November 1st, 2005, 08:50 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

It will probably bolt up to the transmission...i've never tried it, but the frame mount is different, and all of the linkage is different, and the front driveshaft will have to be lengthened, and it may interfere with the exhaust. I think it would be way more trouble than it's worth.
Rob
Old November 3rd, 2005, 12:07 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
I think the cases are the same(more or less) throughout the LT230 range. There's the odd few holes for the hand brake operating bracket that might need drilling and tapping. If you take the linkages off the old box they should swap straight over. I recently swapped an LT230R with a 1.44:1 ratio for an LT230T with 1.222:1 ratio then had to take the "new" box back out after 500 miles because it needed a rebuild. IT was making a hell of a row, turned out that two circlips that hold a couple of taper roller bearings in place had broken up, the bearings moved and the intermediate gear could float about all over the shop. No other damage though. New bearings and circlips and all was well
The main differences are the ratios ranging from 1.03:1 in some auto Range Rovers down to 1.6:1 in 2.3 litre petrol 110's yes they do need to be that low geared (I had one).
Make sure that the input gear for the transfer box is cross drilled then the output shaft from the main box will last a whole lot longer.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
transfer case