I think I need new Catalytic Converters- please help! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old July 9th, 2011, 09:50 AM
Wade Garrett
1994 defender 90
I think I need new Catalytic Converters- please help!

Hi all,

So the defender has been sort of 'missing' here and there the past few months & stalling a little bit, check engine light occasionally comes on & for a little while it smelled like a stink bomb. There is occasionally some 'popping' noises that sound like they are coming from around under the gearsfift or passenger seat vicinity. A little bit of rattling noises too when starting off in 1st gear. Yesterday, the truck would only idle, when I step on the gas it would not rev, but it would almost stall out & if I could get it going, it would only drive about 5 mph. My thought is cats. Anyone think so? And if so, should I buy some universal ones from the local autopart store at $70 each? Thanks!

Old July 9th, 2011, 10:28 AM
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes
What is the code it throws?

Originally Posted by bjf View Post
I am talking purely from an aesthetics standpoint.
Old July 9th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Tony Sims
1984 110
It does sound like the symptoms of clogged cats. And if it is, I agree there's no reason to spend any more than you must. That said, maybe do a little googling on the performance of various aftermarket options. Any reduction in exhaust restriction would be a good thing for fuel consumption and general performance, and there are aftermarket "performance" cats that claim that benefit.
[appropriated from Ren Ching] Most faults can usually be traced to the badge on the grill.
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old July 10th, 2011, 01:12 AM
I have never seen a rover in person
What does the CEL code read? Sounds like O2 not cats. Does it get better when the CEL comes on? If so, my guess is O2s. Could be any number of things though.
*not legal advice*
Old July 10th, 2011, 06:52 AM
Your symptoms indicate cats, but the noises could be from a number of things.

I would start simple- confirm rattle and know which cat is bad, check o2 wiring. The stink bomb smell indicates could be cats or problem running rich/lean. So, it could be your cats, or it could be a fuel problem. Or, even ecu problem calculating fuel/air.

If it were me and I thought it was the cats I would use cheap generic. If you replace them, and its not the cats, then there is a high likelihood that the new cats could end up going bad real quick because you didnt address the right problem. If you have rattle....it may only be in one cat, so you may only need to replace one.

Take it to a good exhaust shop and they will be able to tell you if the cats rattling and bad. Generally, if the inlet part is black and the outlet is white....they are working fine. A local shop here charges 180 installed cat using generic catco. I dont have a welder and bender or else I would do that type of work myself.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions