I think I fixed my SW roof leak problem - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 20th, 2006, 05:10 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

I think I fixed my SW roof leak problem

Hi,

Just wanted to pass this along. The provious two winters I had bad problems with leaks during the ubiquitious NW fall/winter/spring rains. Symptoms:

-- My driver-side seat belt was always wet. There's the end of a bolt suspended right above the belt reel; water would drip down from that and soak the belt.

-- On the passenger side, I'd frequently get water that would run down the A-pillar, in the interior, from underneath the headliner, when the body was jostled, if the truck had been sitting for awhile in the rain.

-- All this water in the interior raised the humidity significantly in the winter, led to rust, probably killed the radio display, etc.

During the summer, I noticed that whatever caulking that had been in the seam between the two metal roof pieces was largely gone; this was especially true on the curved, mostly-vertical areas on the left and right (right above where the roll cage attaches).

So I put new acrylic caulk in there while the weather was still decent. Now that we've gotten a few good rains, I can report that, so far, I have a dry seat belt, and no water running out from underneath the headliner. I've got my fingers crossed, but those seams may have been the problem.

'may be something to check out if you have the same issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 20th, 2006, 05:17 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Yup, the SW roofs are prone to leaks due to the hard sealer they used. When it gets old it cracks and lets water in the weirdest places.
Here is some more detail on the same issue (taken to the extreme on the repair):

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/172.html

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old October 20th, 2006, 08:32 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
thats a sick looking station wagon.
Advertisement

Old October 21st, 2006, 10:20 AM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

Not to hijack, but I am preparing to put the top back on my 110 (after body capping repair) and it looks like some sort of caulk/sealer was run along the leading edge of the wind screen. I am currently pealing this off. I have new rubber seals for the replacement, but should I plan on re applying some sort of sealer, or wait and see and then apply if neccessary? I dont want to have to put the top on twice. If so, what should I use? The original was some sort of white material that I frankly did not notice until I went to remove the top and literally needed to cut out since it held so well.
Old October 21st, 2006, 12:24 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Hey Barry

If you've got any pictures could you throw some up for me? I've got similar issues.

DJ
Old October 23rd, 2006, 08:35 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattarm
Not to hijack, but I am preparing to put the top back on my 110 (after body capping repair) and it looks like some sort of caulk/sealer was run along the leading edge of the wind screen. I am currently pealing this off. I have new rubber seals for the replacement, but should I plan on re applying some sort of sealer, or wait and see and then apply if neccessary? I dont want to have to put the top on twice. If so, what should I use? The original was some sort of white material that I frankly did not notice until I went to remove the top and literally needed to cut out since it held so well.
The white sealer across the front edge of an NAS 110 is factory correct. It isn't really needed if you do the seals correctly, but to be factory correct you will need to apply white sealant just like you took off. Install the top, then tape off the area and then seal it. We use 3M 5100 sealer, but any white UV stable sealer will do (don't use any Home Depot crap though)... is a car, not a house.

Old October 23rd, 2006, 09:08 AM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

Mike,

Thanks for the information. I appreciate the response and the recommendation on sealer.
Matt
Old October 23rd, 2006, 11:11 AM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Mike-
Is there any good way to seal the hardtop without removing it and painting it all over again? I have a leak that has been a mystery for a while now, and until this thread appeared, I just let it go. But now it has gotten me thinking about how to fix it. I don't want to go to all the trouble of taking off the roof, so what else can I do?

97 D90 SW
Old October 23rd, 2006, 02:26 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

DJ,

I guess I could go out and take a picture, but I don't think it would add much. The roof is made up of two sheets of metal, a front and a back. Where they join together, on mine there was a bit of a gap on both sides, where the roofline bends down to meet the sides of the vehicle. I guess these gaps are there because the sheets of metal are curved in these areas, rather than being flat as they are further toward the middle of the roof.

Anyway, LR had orginally put some sealer in the seams, but it had gotten brittle and cracked off. I just put a bit of 50-year UV stable acrylic sealer in the seam.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 10:48 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
The white sealer across the front edge of an NAS 110 is factory correct. It isn't really needed if you do the seals correctly, but to be factory correct you will need to apply white sealant just like you took off. Install the top, then tape off the area and then seal it. We use 3M 5100 sealer, but any white UV stable sealer will do (don't use any Home Depot crap though)... is a car, not a house.

Is this the same sealer that you used on the leaky roof the white 90 had? If not, what do you suggest using?

97 D90 SW
Old October 24th, 2006, 08:43 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

The white stuff for the front edge of a NAS 110 is the 3M 5100 in white.
For the water leak issues we use SEM products made for the job, like a self leveling seam sealer. This fills the cracks and will not get brittle like the factory stuff.

If you don't want to paint though you are going to have to find something white. The SEM products are grey.

Old November 19th, 2006, 10:54 PM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

Mike,

I am having a tough time finding a product matching the description of 3M 5100 Sealer. Can you provide a specific 3M part number?
Thanks,
Matt
Old November 20th, 2006, 08:01 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Sorry, type-o on my pars. 3M 5200 if you never want to remove it. 3M 4100 if you want to remove it someday. Both come in white.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
roof