I really need help... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 17th, 2005, 10:55 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I really need help...

I know a number of people here complain about their significant other not supporting their Rover habit.

I think I have the opposite problem - my wife just bought me this for Christmas:

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/110SW4sale.html

Now the proviso is that I have to retreive it (ECR is still in Maine) and we've recently moved to the left coast.

I somehow have to move a doorless, RHD, title-less 110 from one corner of the country to the other. Any suggestions will be much appreciated

Oh, and I'm also in the market for 4 defender doors...

Wait! Maybe Mike Hippert will drive it out here for me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 17th, 2005, 11:12 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Gas money, lodging and a plane ticket home and it's a deal! Always wanted to drive cross country in a Defender!
Old November 17th, 2005, 11:43 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
If you're not joking, then neither am I - I think the truck needs some items to make it road-worthy, but its simple stuff. The main issue would be temp-plates. Needless to say, I'd cover every bit of your expenses and make sure you are well taken care of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 18th, 2005, 12:06 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Hmmm, I have the week between x-mass and new years off from work. Can you get temp plates in CA and send them out here? What does it need to get running?

You do relize it's 3,200 miles at 12 mpg thats about 270 gallons of gas at $2.10 a gallon thats $600 in gas alone! Google says it's about 5 days driving time, So thats $200 for cheap hotels. Then the airline ticket home will be around $200-300. Add in misc stuff and now you are talking $1,300! How much to ship it back?
Old November 18th, 2005, 12:12 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
That is starting to approach the 1600 dollar quote for shipping. Gas is certainly more expensive now than it has been. It needs a master cylinder...

But see, if I ship it, I miss the chance to strand you in the middle of the country with a dead rover in the deep of winter...
Old November 18th, 2005, 12:12 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

How can you get temp plates for a truck you can't register?

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old November 18th, 2005, 01:29 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
very carefully
Old November 18th, 2005, 02:04 AM
jabber
m j

Load it up on a Uhaul... Gas is still pretty pricey.

Come on hippert.... five days?? Get someone else and drive straight through!!!
Old November 18th, 2005, 03:34 AM
Hoss
Jeff Sturgis
1995/D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
...I think I have the opposite problem - my wife just bought me this for Christmas...

Wait! Maybe Mike Hippert will drive it out here for me!
He-zeus christo... that is like looking for a needle in the haystack and complaining that you you found the farmer's daughter instead.

Congrats on the new gift from the most generous woman in Alviso, and possible in our Golden State. I saw that Defender on ECR and then off their site just like that.

My humble recommendation is that if the financial metrics are a push, I would opt for the path of driving it out with Hippert rather than just shipping it. Life is too short without building a story that will stay with you forever. Your wife pulled something over the top, and even if gas was $5.00 a gallon, it is worth matching her enthusiasm in kind.

Just two additional thoughts. First, plan your route from east to west with Land Rover friendly resource points, such as Pendy in Kansas and similar folks in Boulder and whatnot. Secondly, during those long stretches across Kansas where you swear if you pass another cow or silo before driving into a telephone poll to put yourself out of your misery, that you do NOT entertain any chatter about putting an Ashcroft crawler in your new beast just to see if it actually implodes on anyone else. Just sayin'.

Safe travels and congrats again on marrying an angel.

Cheers!
Old November 18th, 2005, 07:12 AM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
I actually had an email exchange with Mike about that 110. That's pretty cool! Congrats on the new Defender and even a BIGGER congratulations on a great wife!!!

I can see why Mike is a little hesitant to drive this to the left coast. While it has no doors, the roof is still intact! Jim, maybe if you have ECR take the roof off and ship it to you directly, Mike will drive that roofless, doorless 110 in a heartbeat!

Congrats again!

Old November 18th, 2005, 09:09 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I will do it if you get it going. I am graduating from college and dont have shit else to do in DEC. that should be aneough time for you to get it road worthy. I am serious
Old November 18th, 2005, 09:38 AM
Monkeyboy

Congratulations on the lovely new vehicle and the great wife!

Keep us all up to date if you need places to stop along the way home

KAA
West Des Moines, IA - right on I-80
Old November 18th, 2005, 09:48 AM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

First off: Just emailed this to my wife.
Secondly: Congrats on the new rover, that kicks so much ass.

In VA you can get temp plates without a registration for just this purpose. All you have to do is prove you bought it, you've insured it (which here means saying-"I insured it"), and sign a paper. That buys you 3 days for about $20. If you can do that in Maine and again in say Kansas or Colorado then it should be easy to get it to you. Good Luck!

Follow-up Post:

Follow up: Can't ECR give you 30-day tags since they are a dealer?
Old November 18th, 2005, 09:52 AM
Billakris
Kris
Alpine White 95 Soft Top

Youve got a place to stay in Kansas City if needed
Old November 18th, 2005, 10:43 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Boy, that'll be one interesting trip! I'd make sure the heater's working good.

I don't know who quoted you $1600 to ship but last time I checked it was more like $800-$1000 for coast-to-coast. Higher gas prices may explain the rise but I'd still consider going that route. At least you're guaranteed to get the truck to you in a certain time and without issues.

Having to find four doors quickly (and not pay through the nose?), getting a valid registration (or three? are you kidding?!) and then hoping to have no issues during the drive? And it's a 20 year old truck. I wouldn't do it.

Yes, the allure of a cross country trek in a 110 is strong but let's all come down to Earth here.
Old November 18th, 2005, 10:57 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
dont be a hater
Old November 18th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Hey Jim,
Congratulations on the new toy.
I have a proposition for you. I have a bunch of transmission cores at Cityside Garage in Holliston MA. If they can get loaded up in the 110 and dropped in Albuquerque on the way through, I will cover some of the cost of getting your new toy out west.
Rob
Old November 18th, 2005, 11:21 AM
jabber
m j

Drive cross country!!! You've got a place to stay in Boulder! I'll even flip for a tank of gas..... And a few beers when ya get here!!!
Old November 18th, 2005, 11:22 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

So will I be driving coast to coast in a doorless 110 with a bunch of tranny parts and no breaks (or is it no clutch, bad MC?)!

But Art has a point, and thats what I was bringing up when I posted a quick bit about travel details when going that far. Any idea on the current condition of it besides the bad MC? And I have heard a few stories of buying a vehicle and driveing it home (several states away) with no plates or registration at all! SO as long as there is something on there I don't think there is too much to worry about. I mean I drive my 90 around and the inspection is 11 months out!
Old November 18th, 2005, 11:55 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Don't chicken out Mike!!!!! This is the crap that legends are made of. You can make a photo thread of Mike's most excellent adventure............... Think of the fame!!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions