I Need Help Big-time In Aspen! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 14th, 2007, 11:27 AM
discokelly
Kelly Voss
2000 Disco II

I Need Help Big-time In Aspen!

Hi all:

My 2000 Disco II's rear air suspension on the driver's side is totally jacked up in the air (like 18")- which is also causing the front passenger side to be really far down (108k miles). I've taken it to a Roaring Fork mechanic who will remain anonymous; it has been there going on 2 weeks- I still don't know what is wrong (I know they have been really busy- but I feel like I'm being blown off), and I really need wheels & I am wondering if anyone lives here or has ideas or can help me! Thank you in advance.

Kelly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 14th, 2007, 11:37 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I would post up on DiscoWeb in the Disco section. It's more heavily read and you'll probably have some good suggestions within an hour or two. There are definitely lots of knowledgeable folks in your neck of the woods.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old September 14th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

You're going to pay a small fortune for repairs anywhere in that area.

Roaring Fork might be your best bet becuase they will have the computers to fix the air suspension. I do not believe there are many shops in the Aspen area who will be able to deal with your problem besides the dealer.

Either that or somehow get it down to JC's Rover in Englewood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 14th, 2007, 12:59 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Just poke a hole in the bag. Then drive it on bumpstops to JC to have him put springs in it. I am sure the lack of transportation has outweighed the need for correct repair. It will likely fail you again soon anyway.

JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old September 14th, 2007, 01:01 PM
discokelly
Kelly Voss
2000 Disco II

Like use a knife & poke a hole?
Old September 14th, 2007, 01:03 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Hey Kelly,

There must be a way you can bleed down the airbags to a reasonable ride height (even if it is just cracking an air line connection loose to bleed the air). Just pull the fuse on the air compressor first, bleed them down to where you want them, then take it to a repair shop you trust.

Ultimately I agree with Pendy though, pull the bags and throw some real springs in there. If you really need load leveling capability, you could always through helper bags inside the springs. At least the spring is less likely to fail you in the future..

Old September 14th, 2007, 01:19 PM
discokelly
Kelly Voss
2000 Disco II

I had a guy (who is knowledgeable) try to pull and bleed it- not a bit of air came out!

It is the strangest thing! And honestly, I don't take her off road- I don't need anything too fancy! If I want to go up off-roading, I usually ask to tag along, as I can't afford for my truck to break right now, so regular springs would be just fine.
Old September 14th, 2007, 01:49 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by discokelly
I had a guy (who is knowledgeable) try to pull and bleed it- not a bit of air came out!

It is the strangest thing! And honestly, I don't take her off road- I don't need anything too fancy! If I want to go up off-roading, I usually ask to tag along, as I can't afford for my truck to break right now, so regular springs would be just fine.
Ask around on the Disco Web, I'm sure there is a method, someone who has a 2000 Disco service manual can probably look it up for you... If not, Pendy's method will work for sure.. LOL!

Here is a link to Atlantic British's Air Spring Replacement Kit. It is not the cheapest route, but the most simplistic. You could easily do the conversion in your driveway. Or just go with an Old Man Emu Lift Kit. Than you get a little lift, better shocks and eliminate the rear air springs all together. Much more reliable..

Oh, by the way, you can probably get all of this stuff cheaper somewhere other than AB, but they are fast and reliable to deal with if you are in a pinch. If you have a day to look around, I'm sure you could find a better price on the lift kit. If you go AB, look up brn24whl. His name is Eric, he is a D-90 source member and he works at AB..

Old September 14th, 2007, 01:56 PM
discokelly
Kelly Voss
2000 Disco II

Thank you so much for all the advice. I've used AB to buy parts before & was super happy.
Old September 14th, 2007, 03:09 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

I have a friend in Grand Juction that could install the springs for you if you want to go that way home.

PM me for a # if you want.

JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old September 14th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

The bag is not likely to have a check valve...the 4.0/4.6 ones certainly don't. To release the line you have to push it in a little to take pressure off it, then use a screwdriver or pick to press the brass collar down and pull the line out. The air should just pour out. My first guess on the actual cause would be a bad height sensor which is probably around $100 plus labor plus labor to recalibrate the sensors and ecu. If the bags are orig. they are probably pretty dry rotted by now and may leak soon anyway, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to convert but you will have to compare the cost to repair with the cost of the kit and see if it is really worth it. If you get the air bags from AB you can actually keep the old system working relatively inexpensively for quite a while. I always keep the EAS on my vehicles b/c I can replace all 4 air bags through AB for about half the price of the conversion kit and there are rebuild kits available for the air compressors too! Just my $.02
Old September 14th, 2007, 07:39 PM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

Contact Dennis at rover renovations, he knows an extreme amount about EAS.

He can tell you what to do. He is an expert even though we rag him pretty bad on Dweb.
Old September 15th, 2007, 01:31 AM
discokelly
Kelly Voss
2000 Disco II

guys! thanx so much for all the advice. my girl is back in order. they replaced the air suspension with springs- boing!!! probably paid a bit more than i should have, but i do have a ride now. if anyone has a sound contact in this area- i moved to Aspen two weeks ago & i'd take it- so i don't have mental breakdowns at the post office when something goes awry. that is NEVER fun, nor does it get you anywhere! thanks again & good karma is creeping your way right now for helping a desperately frustrated girl. thanks!
Old September 15th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

Sorry I wasn't on yesterday. PM'ing you now. Call me if you'd like.
Old September 17th, 2007, 10:09 AM
steved90
steven melnyk

hey sweetheart!

i am glad to hear your rig is going!
give the boy a hug for me and tell him i said hi and miss him! i am so happy you are out there now!!

love ya
-s

p.s. to anyone who thinks this is strange, discokelly is my ex. but still a friend!
Old September 17th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Andrew Vick
Andrew Vick
95 D90

Jeebus. You made me nervous. I saw your reply via email, and thought you were calling me sweetheart.

Tell her that if she needs any help, she can give me a ring.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions