I might have hurt my LT77 need advise - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 4th, 2009, 10:31 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Looks like I am going to ship it as shipping rates from Baltimore are not too bad, there is a dependable auto shipper terminal 4 miles from my hotel and they said it will be in Denver in 9 days.

I am probably being a little paranoid about the noise and it might be normal since I have not had much experience with non NAS 90ís.

All in all it is a great little 90 and it runs / drives great, has every MOT cert, original owners manual, original receipt from the land rover dealer and a stack of receipts.

Once I have it at my shop I will play with it some more and see what I can figure out.

Thanks for all of the help everyone

Rob, when are you going to be in the Denver area next?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 4th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

Sounds like a great truck, despite the noisy trans. Did you post any pics of it?
Old May 4th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
What suffix is the box? Earlier ones lose bearings fairly easily.

What have you been running for oil?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 4th, 2009, 12:45 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Try putting the transfer case in neutral, putting the transmission in first and letting the clutch out. Note the noise, then shift to second, third, fourth. Does the noise pick-up in speed or stay the same? If it stays the same, I would suspect the input side of the transmission, if it speeds up with the gear changes, it would sound like the output side, or even the input side of the t-case. If its not there at all it would sound like the output side of the t-case (since you isolated that when you put the t-case in neutral).

Ask Trevor if it sounded like my Discovery did when I brought it to him years ago. If it does, he'll know exactly what it is (spline wear on the output shaft of the transmission where it interfaces with the input gear of the t-case), and if its making that much noise it's probably not a good idea to drive it far.

Note: I'm not a mechanic, and didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express, but Rob and Trevor are (mechanics), so anything I said that conflicts, please disregard..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 4th, 2009, 12:56 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Wuss.

I guess cheap shipping is cheap shipping though. Enjoy the truck!
Old May 4th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Oxcart13
Mark M
D110

I think it's a smart decision. Fly back home and work the days Dave would have used up driving, then cash out the leave to pay for part of the shipping. Although it would have been an interested trip for sure. Mark
Old May 4th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I don't have a spare 4cyl lt77. This is bumming me out-aside from the exhaust rattle that was the most quiet 2.25 diesls I have seen. Dave there is a pump in the front of the tranny that is driven off the input shaft that pumps the trans fluid thru the tranny. When you remove the drain plug you can stick your finger up in the hole and gently slide out a plastic cage "filter" for the trany fluid. If that's full of metal the prognosis isn't good. Let me know what you find- shoot me an email.
Right now I'm glad you didn't buy that truck from me.

Charles-you have an lt95.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
Does it perhaps sounds like a bad throwout bearing (if you know what that sounds like). The symptoms sounds like that to me.

But I agree you should drain the fluid and check what comes out. If no chunks come out, I can't imagine your *almost* shift into second could have caused any harm. I'd be in the "run it anyway" club.

But if there are chunks, I'd be pretty concerned.

What's Janey got - an LT77? Welcome to mine if you need it Would give me the impetus to do the rear main on the engine. Doug knows my numbers.

charles

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old May 4th, 2009, 09:17 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Dave, did you get Tom's transmission?
Old May 4th, 2009, 10:43 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Mark, I drove out to MD and I am on my way back to co (in lex ky right now)

Doug, thanks for the tips and all of the help getting it from the docks (and finding it) FYI I just had a chance to look at the documentation package and that is a nice touch. Even with the questions about the trans I am still happy with my puchase.

Ron, I have not had a chance to talk with with Tom but wanted to check what suffix it is to make sure it is worth installing
Old May 4th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Rob, when are you going to be in the Denver area next?[/QUOTE]

Dave,
I'll be in Pueblo this weekend for sure and may be comeing up to Denver to drop off a Disco....I have to finalize my travel plans. What do you have in mind?
Old May 4th, 2009, 11:52 PM
evilfij
evilfij

The oracle speaks!
Old May 5th, 2009, 08:24 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadsiderob
Dave, I'll be in Pueblo this weekend for sure and may be comeing up to Denver to drop off a Disco....I have to finalize my travel plans. What do you have in mind?
I just thought if the Rover transmission guru was going to be in town that maybe I could con you into listenning to it and see what you think but I am not sure the 90 will be here by this weekend.

Also wanted to see if you have a use for a LT95 out of a 1972 range rover that I am going to be parting out or maybe you could give me some ideas on what to ask for it

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht