I might be my starter, it might be me! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 21st, 2008, 09:41 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

I might be my starter, it might be me!

Alright I am having some major issues but not my truck is acting up too. My key tumbler ignition was bad and I basically zip tied it back together to get it to run until I could order the part. In the between time I decided to have it Valeted while eating dinner at Fearings. Well the food was awesome but the Valet basically left my car in in start mode for a good portion of the drive home. It was not grinding like mad but it was grinding a bit. When we got home I noticed that the truck would not start at all. I replaced the ignition deal but now the truck lights up nicely looks like it wants to start but when I turn it to the start position i get absolutely nothing. No clicks not noises, nothing!!!!!!! I think I may need to now replace a starter but those are 200$ rather than the $37 I spent on the ignition. Without having a chance to see it any ideas? Thanks to you all. Also I am not much of a DIY guy so hang with me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 21st, 2008, 10:02 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Check the fuses... I had a similar problem and blew a couple fuses and could not get the truck to start.

Old July 22nd, 2008, 12:16 AM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

Had that happen and the starter switch (the oe you put the key into) had to be replaced - pretty cheap as I recall - plugs into the opposite side of the mechnism - you don't have to replace the actual key lock mechanism, just the switch on the back side of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 22nd, 2008, 07:27 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Wicks. I actually just finished replacing the starter switch. I also checked the ignition fuse and everything looks good but still absolutely no noise or apparent effort when I switch the key to the start position. I am thinking my next best option is to check the starter. As far as the starter switch goes, I am wondering if my wiring is off. I have the larger wires on the side with 3 prongs and the smaller wires on the side with two prongs. The white wire is on top and the brown is on the bottom on the three prong side. I also talked to someone today who recommended that the starter might be stick in the flywheel. Does this sound possible? He said put the truck in 3rd and rock it back and forth while off. What do you all think?
Old July 23rd, 2008, 04:03 AM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

No, that won't do a thing but pull a tendon. Rap on the solenoid of the starter (the smaller cyliner that has an electromagnetically activated rod inside which engages the starter worm gear) with something metal and heavy a few times. Those things get stuck sometimes.

If you were saying that the starter motor was spinning while you were running the car, you could have chewed up the gears and/or crunched the starter pretty bad. Hopefully not the flywheel. Also take a power lead from the battery and make some sparks on the side of the starter motor, and jam it straight onto the starter's POS terminal as well to make a direct connection to the starter motor. Be in NEUTRAL! and maybe even drop some cinder block choks at the wheels in case it pops in gear and eats a knee or an ear.

I replaced the starter in mine a few years ago, was a pretty simple job.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 12:42 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Thanks for the ideas.

Wicks. Thanks for your help on this one. I will certainly give it a try. If I don,t resond its because my truck ran me over!!
Old July 26th, 2008, 11:17 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

It looks like the starter after all

Well I tried everything which involved pulling the starter and taking it to autozone where me and the sales associate and I were supposed to have this effectionate moment when we realized the starter was good and my life was back in order (according to the commercail). Well the machine could not convince my starter to work so I am back to square three or four. I still do have one question. In the process of spending about an hour removing the starter I discovered this goofy fire shield thingy. I am wondering do I really need that thingy. Does anyone have a good idea how to effectively and easily get the starter in . Or do I get to wrestle with it again? Thanks for so much help on this!!
Old July 28th, 2008, 05:07 PM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

Now it seems you know the starter is fried...so don't put it back in!

I would keep the heat shield in place.
Old July 29th, 2008, 02:31 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Since you have it off the truck, have it serviced or do it yourself if you feel like it.
The bolts/nuts are red-locked-it holding the solenoid together, so you will have to cut/destroy them. I found replacements at my local Home Depot (Lowe's?), so it was not that bad.
Once you have it in pieces, check if the solenoid is ok (you can also check it before taking everything apart.....) and look at what the connections are like in there.
The solenoid can be replaced (the Bosh part number will be stamped on it).
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht, start, starter