Defender Source Forum banner

i gotz marbles somewheres.

963 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  midturtle 
#1 ·
i searched "marbles" and came up empty.

it sounds more like one marble to be specific.

it started two days ago, sort of a weird clanking noise when it warms up, about a mile, lets say.

its sort of continuous, except for slowing down in gear, then the noise picks up.

it aint commin from the t-case, though ill creep under there tomorrow with a stethoscope to be sure. it sounds more like the tranny/clutch area. i never heard the noise in a previous rig of mine, but this is my first rover. i dont know if theres a specific shaft or bearing that is known to wear/spin in one of these.

it has a 3.9, running good. no noticable vibrations when i rev it in or out of gear. an lt77, that feels "loose" when shifting, like theres some play somewhere. it takes concentration to shift it smooth, and im a good driver (never need to replace a clutch in my rigs). and whatever tcase came with the NAS110.

the noise is the same when driving under power or drifting with the clutch in. like i said, using the engine to slow the truck is the only thing that makes the noise pick up. theres no sort of whirring noise id associate with a spun crank bearing, and id be shocked if a motor could run that smooth in that condition anyway, but one never knows.

any ideas before i buy a new clutch kit?

See less See more
#3 ·
I second the cats. I had seen a couple of the posts of bad cats sounding like marbles in a coffee can and I did not think mine rose to that level. For too long, I dismissed it as "something else" until they finally let loose. At that point it was very obvious. I just replaced my Y-Pipe and it made a HUGE difference.

#6 ·
check your propshaft uj's it could be one of the cups has gone dry and the roller bearings have broken up allowing the spider to rattle in the cups.

they dont tend to clank when under drive unless they are very bad.
a long shot but a cheap fix.

have fun.. I just spent the day in the rain replacing a leaking crank oil seal on a 300. knackered and bummed out now.

Gren

#7 ·
and the winner iiiiiiisssssss.......

the cat. no ****. im 99% sure. i had to go up in there and stick my head up by it 3 times to convince myself. ill be dammed if that dont sound like gears clanking, or something of a much more substantial metalic origin than a cat. maybe it will all let loose and come shootin out the butt.

ok. OEM Y, the SS aftermarket Rovers north Y, or a custom dual exahst? im leaning towards the oem, myself. i dont see how the other two affect resale, or in the case of this 3.9 noticeable performance.

this one lasted 15 years, and 44k miles.

opinions?

#9 ·
Call mike at LR westchester. He had the best price on aftermarket when I was shopping for a set and would give you a good price on genuine rover parts too. If you get classic plates (you are in PA you should do this now as it is 15 years old) no emissions and you can just wait until they blow out (or help a little hehehe). The ones on my LWB are shot and have blown most of themselves out the back and she still passes (at 164k).

#10 ·
I had the same issue a few months back. It ended up being my driver's side cat. The honeycomb interior had let loose and was banging around inside it, but not loose enough to shoot out the back. the rest of my exhaust system was in good shape so I opped for just the single cat replacement. I took it to a muffler shop, they cut it out and welded on a new one in about a hour for $250. It sounds and run like it did before the cat crapped out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.