I got one, finally! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 20th, 2005, 01:09 AM
R. chili
Rob Childress

I got one, finally!

I went to So. Cal. to look at the 2 d90's that I narrowed down. I've been looking off and on for about a year. '94 white with hard top, daily driver. The guy had a warranty covering it to something like 90,000k miles and took full advantage so its in good shape. I will be picking it up next week. Things I need to do...

1. Find a full roll cage? any sugestions where and how much to pay?
2. Full soft top.
3. A/c installed. I've been quoted $2,800 for kit and install does this sound right for price?

Thanks for the help,

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 20th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Dredd
Harlan Boone

All NAS D90's came with a roll cage, and there were no '94 Hard tops. Unless you are talking about the fiberglass hardtop.
It sounds like a hack job, you should be careful.
Old June 20th, 2005, 10:18 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Yes, all d-90's came with a roll cage, but the soft tops didnt all come with FULL roll-cages, and the POE hardtops came with less yet.

@ rob - if you are just looking for the rear hoop, the "cantrails," and the alpine bow, then that shouldnt be too hard to source. I know George at RDS had a set around a month back.

AC installed would be around 2800 - that price is right on. Most of the cost is the parts. Again, george at RDS has some kits in the 2k+ range, and Rovers North has some for around 2.5 - so its kind of mox-nix as to where you get it from. Its very easy to install (I just did one), but obviously you need a pro to charge it.

If you have no soft top at all, then you may as well order a nice canvas one from Badger instead of even fooling around with a vinyl Bestop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 20th, 2005, 11:53 AM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

A/C can be had by people that decide to ditch them, which happens every now and then. I'm not ready yet, but will likely be ditching mine next year (after I've experienced a full summer here and decide that I really can live w/o). Or you can get the aforementioned kit.
Old June 20th, 2005, 12:00 PM
R. chili
Rob Childress

Dredd,

thanks for the words of caution. I don't know enough to know that I don't know. The truck was a soft top but now has the gray fiber glass top. It has snaps for the soft. I'll post pics as soon as I get her home.
Old June 20th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. chili
Dredd,

thanks for the words of caution. I don't know enough to know that I don't know. The truck was a soft top but now has the gray fiber glass top. It has snaps for the soft. I'll post pics as soon as I get her home.

Good luck on the new truck. Sounds like you have a '94 that didn't get the full Safari cage option. I remember looking at one of the first ones to hit the dealer when new. It came without a top, only a tonneau cover (that's what the snaps are for on the dash).

As for the a/c, my recommendation would be to look carefully before putting in a used 11 or 12 year old unit. Many of the parts are hitting the point at which they go bad. If you do, be prepared to recondition the unit. It is very likely you will find pieces (pipes, expansion block, compressor) in need of replacement. Once factoring the cost of individual parts versus a kit, and the labor required to do the job, you may be better off investing in something new. You would hate to install something like an a/c only to have take it all apart for repairs shortly thereafter. On top of that, it just won't be as cold or fight the summer humidity the same.

RDS had '95 style wynn units for considerably less the Rovers North kit.

As for those who question the wisdom of an a/c in soft top defender, spend a week down here (or other locale where the temp and humidity both are above 90). You would soon start to ponder how to mount that rear air unit RDS has shown. If I had a hard top, even with only 2 doors, I'd seriously be considering that thing.
Old June 20th, 2005, 02:33 PM
R. chili
Rob Childress

Ragland,

thax for the reply, copy you about 90/90 heat and humidity-I'm moving back to my home town in
St. Louis. I didn't see snaps on the dash but snaps all around the body, thats for the soft top right?
(badger soft top?) I owned a '80 Intl. scout and had a top that just folded down called a fast track top. Is there anything like that out there for the defender?

thanks,
rob
Old June 20th, 2005, 03:06 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
The snaps are for the "tickford" top - the original one that was supplied on the 94 d90's. If you only have the roll cage behind the seats and the diagonal braces (if they are missing then what are your seatbelts attached t?) then your truck would likely have originally had the fastback top. The fback tops are scarce nowadays.

Badger is an aftermarket top that is much nicer than any of the original ones were. They make several configurations to include a pickup cab in case you dont want to get a rear roll cage setup. Badger tops and others use whats called a "belt rail kit" instead of the snaps - it works much better. Its also very inexpensive.
Old June 20th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

If I recall the original '94 options correctly, there were three primary top choices (excluding secondary tops such as bikini and the like). A full tonneau cover was standard, with the option of either a fastback using the partial cage or a complete top w/ full cage. They all had snaps, as the cover used them just like the tops. The rear seat was optional, and only available with the full cage, needed for the 3 point seat belt mounts.

As sales patterns dictated, the topless, cover-only model disappeared. Most starting coming with the full safari cage and top.

Has anyone ever seen a '94 with painted steel wheels? The alloys were optional then, although I suspect Rover might have shipped all with them.
Old June 20th, 2005, 06:28 PM
R. chili
Rob Childress

O.K. now I understand, no back seat = no full cage. thats the way it came stock. Belt rail + badger +
full rail cage sounds the way to go for a '94.

thanks, rob
Old June 21st, 2005, 01:09 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

"Has anyone ever seen a '94 with painted steel wheels? The alloys were optional then, although I suspect Rover might have shipped all with them."

I saw one in an ad. The wheels were disco spares--which is what I am fitting to my 94.

BTW alloys were a $950 option!
Old June 22nd, 2005, 12:55 AM
bjenk
Brian Jenkinson
1994 D90

Rob,

I have a 94 with A/C. I live in denver and do not need it (I only have a bikini top). I am going to sell it. It is still installed and working. Email me and let me know if you are interested.

Brian

dfdefender@comcast.net
Old June 22nd, 2005, 06:19 PM
R. chili
Rob Childress

bjenk--

thanks for the offer,I need a NEW unit. the place thats installing it will not put a used unit in. I checked and most places to my knowledge will not. Also have no clue how to install it.
Old June 22nd, 2005, 06:45 PM
Rover- Girl

do some digging before you buy . Did you have it inspected by an independent
dealer/garage !?
That might cost between you $ 250- 300 but is worth it in the long run !!!!!
Don't get taken....good luck w/ youre new baby.
Old June 22nd, 2005, 07:47 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I have an instruction set for a 97 A/C. I'll try to scan it soon if you like. It will show you that you're not doing anything serious - you just cant charge it yourself.
Old June 24th, 2005, 09:59 AM
R. chili
Rob Childress

Jim,

If you could e-mail that to me that would be of real help. On a scale of 1-10, I'm a 5 when it comes to being a mechanic, but willing to learn. Maybe I can do it myself and save about $1,000.00

thanks again, rob

Follow-up Post:

Rover- girl

I did have it checked out. Minor leaks compared to most. New trans, tranfer, clutch. No leak around head gasket. daily driver only. The guy also had some type of warrenty that covered him to to 90,000 miles. Not sure what company that was but he showed me all the reciepts and he took full advantage of it.
Old June 24th, 2005, 01:47 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Rob, if you do go and get the new top + rail kit, I'd advise the window gutter system as well. You will have gaps around the windows - do a site search for ALL the forum threads on that topic. Vegas might be low on rain - like here in LA but when water literally streams into the cab during raining season uggh. Let me add, I am still saving up for them myself but gutters are on the short list.

As to the cage - do you need a full one? I run a fast back set up and use the tub to stow my gear.
If you can live with a 2 seater, save the money. Badger makes just cab covers as well. If you do need a full cage, dude, you are in Vegas - some off road shop should be able to set you up with a custom one for much less $$$ then the LR original.

GO TO THE WANTED FORUM - THREAD ON FASTBACKS. Someone just posted a custom top construction.

Thought from all D-90 source members on these recommendation?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions