i did a search, ecu code help - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 25th, 2007, 02:04 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

i did a search, ecu code help

"Code 14 - Coolant thermistor

Refer to test 14, continuity test procedure."

Just finished up a head gasket job and this is the code my engine is throwing, any ideas on what that might mean?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 25th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

yep, it's most likely the coolant temp sensor. There are two in the truck on the intake manifold. This would be the one that threads in from the top, not the one that threads in from the front.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old February 26th, 2007, 06:39 AM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
yep, it's most likely the coolant temp sensor. There are two in the truck on the intake manifold. This would be the one that threads in from the top, not the one that threads in from the front.

-Hans
interesting, i'll make sure the wiring is attached correctly.

I've noticed another problem though, after driving and getting the car warm when i come to a stop the car idles at ~2k, then after about 15 seconds it'll drop down to 1100 or so, i've tried adjusting the throttle cable a little, but would the code be thrown cause this issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 26th, 2007, 09:57 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkavan01
interesting, i'll make sure the wiring is attached correctly.

I've noticed another problem though, after driving and getting the car warm when i come to a stop the car idles at ~2k, then after about 15 seconds it'll drop down to 1100 or so, i've tried adjusting the throttle cable a little, but would the code be thrown cause this issue?
Stepper?
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old February 27th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

If you've had the power disconnected lately, the RPM thing is actually normal and nothing to worry about. The computer just has to go through it's whole adaptive routine again to re-learn how your engine is performing. It will go away on its own eventually, but depending on how often you drive it may take a week or more.

-Hans

Old February 27th, 2007, 01:35 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
If you've had the power disconnected lately, the RPM thing is actually normal and nothing to worry about. The computer just has to go through it's whole adaptive routine again to re-learn how your engine is performing. It will go away on its own eventually, but depending on how often you drive it may take a week or more.

-Hans
interesting, i did have the battery unplugged for 14 days, i'll keep that in mind... i'm still trying to trace down if i broke the cable, or if the sensor is bad, i'm leaning more towards broken wire though, i have to run a cunductivity test, also the engine is running a bit rough
Old February 27th, 2007, 09:00 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

just as a follow-up to this problem, i spent a little time trying to figure out what was going on and it turns out that the sensor on the driver side front of the manifold and the fuel injector for the front cylinder on the driver side have the same wirinng harness clip style, needless to say my brother assembled the driver side and i did the passenger, not that i probably wouldn't have made the mistake, but i labeled my half everything runs great though!

ps, thanks for all the help guys
Old February 27th, 2007, 10:57 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Yep, now that I think back (and after you mentioned it), I remember being worried about the same thing when I did my head gaskets a couple years back. I ended up putting a red wire tie on the fuel rail sensor connector, and a blue one on the coolant sensor connector.

Glad it's all good now, and glad it didn't cost much to fix.

-Hans

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ecu