I blew up my tranny, time to work - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 1st, 2008, 03:57 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

I blew up my tranny, time to work

Well I finally did it, after almost 160-180k miles on the R380, while comming home last Saturday from work (while in pain from my wisdom teeth being pulled) I hear a "Bang!" and subsequent grinding noise immediately after and limped the last few miles home. I suspect it was one of the splines on the mainshaft, I will find out soon enough. I want to roll the mighty D onto ramps and drop the gearbox and transfer altogether. I'm going to harbor freight to buy the trans jack and my question is, has anyone ever fabbed a jig that bolts onto the jack to drop the entire unit easily? This isn't the first time I've detached the tranny but last time was only to change the clutch so I only moved it back a few inches. Any advice is appreciated as always. My plan is to drop it, throw it on the back of my gmc truck and drop it off at Pat's from british pacific and have him go through it. Thanks for the help!

Neil

Robert Deniro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 1st, 2008, 04:19 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
What were you doing driving after having teeth pulled?

I have the 1984 Defender service manual and it specs out a gearbox assembly jig in book 3 section 37, but it only covers the LT77/LT230 combo, not the R380. I don't have a more current manual, but I'm sure the LT77 is pretty close in design to what's needed for the 380. I might have the more recent manual in my rave cd.
Old August 1st, 2008, 04:28 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander
What were you doing driving after having teeth pulled?

I have the 1984 Defender service manual and it specs out a gearbox assembly jig in book 3 section 37, but it only covers the LT77/LT230 combo, not the R380. I don't have a more current manual, but I'm sure the LT77 is pretty close in design to what's needed for the 380. I might have the more recent manual in my rave cd.
The driving part wasn't so bad, it was the pain and swelling that sucked ballz. Thank god for vikoden. Thanks for the chime, I actually have the specs for that jig and its really complicated, I was hoping someone already made one and wouldn't mind either selling or lending out to a fellow brethren. I guess worst case scenario I just use the plate it comes with and try to align bolt holes on the transfer case on it while balancing it with help from a friend. Thanks though, mabye someday I will make that jig.

Neil

Robert Deniro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 2nd, 2008, 08:35 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Neil, I though the jig looked overly complicated too and didn't feel energetic enough to make one. My transmission jack has a retaining strap, and with careful placement that worked fine.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions