I am an Idiot....Need Dash Removal Instructions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 11th, 2015, 05:22 PM
icnsltmfg
Adam
1988 D90 RHD 19J

Registry
I am an Idiot....Need Dash Removal Instructions

I was installing the rest of the Exmoor matting system and unscrewed the fuse box to get it behind it, and I DIDN'T disconnect the battery...one of the fuse blocks slipped out of the metal bracket and made contact between the bracket and a few of the hot sides of the fuses...

I was planning to swap over the glass fuses and have all of the parts, just was not planning to do it this week...I also was planning to cut the ends off and add new connectors HOWEVER I fried the insulation on at least two wires and now need to replace the entire wire....

SO...does anyone have a good step by step on breaking down the dash to get to all of the wires...I am hoping not the entire thing has to be broken down, just enough to expose the wires and then fish the replacement...

The ONLY good thing is I will get the fuses panel upgraded, install all of my VDO gauges including the extra ones, and replacing the headlight switch and light switch (and yes I have a headlight harness I will add at the same time)

2017 Range Rover L405 HSE TD6
2008 Range Rover HSE L322/MkIII - Gone but not forgotten
1988 D90 County RHD 2.5TD
2015 Porsche Cayenne TD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 11th, 2015, 09:03 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
If you look up my bulkhead thread there should be some good pics towards the end when I was installing the lower dash.

I think the best way is to go from top down. So upper dash pad - then take out the plastic pieces (inside vent cover and tray) to get a view of the top 2 bolts of the lower dash. Just remember to undo the lower vent flap cable - should be easier from the top lever part.
Old April 12th, 2015, 05:27 PM
icnsltmfg
Adam
1988 D90 RHD 19J

Registry
I took a good portion of the Dash apart as I wanted to trace the one wire that burned to ensure no other wire was also affected...The Brown wire that fried was for the top fuse and combines with 5 others in the wire loom to one large brown wire...I assume it delivers voltage from one source behind the instrument pod and distributes it to these 5 wires...It appears only the one wire fried so I will run a new one to the 5 wire splice...at the same time I will switch all the fuses out for the new style...

Before I put everything back I going to try and test everything but I hope it's only the one wire...

Good time to clean up some of the dash parts...and possibly recover the top pad as it has a few cracks in it...may also spray the grey plastic grills black to match the rest of the dash...

I am swapping all of the gauges plus adding a Tach, Boost, and oil pressure to a center pod, so good time to do it, and may just replace the radio too...

I guess I am not driving it for a little while...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150412_161752.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	118160   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150412_161825.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	118161  

2015 Porsche Cayenne TD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 12th, 2015, 09:22 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Sounds like you got the lower dash apart without much issue. How were those 2 top M5 bolts? Those 2 seem like the biggest PITA.
Old April 12th, 2015, 09:34 PM
icnsltmfg
Adam
1988 D90 RHD 19J

Registry
I didn't go beyond that as I can get to all of the wires...I have enough apart...geesh...I hope I can get this back together...lol

2015 Porsche Cayenne TD

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
dash