hypermiling with a vacuum gauge for diesel? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old July 25th, 2007, 11:32 AM
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD
hypermiling with a vacuum gauge for diesel?

First, does anyone know if a vacuum gauge would work on my 300Tdi like it works on petrol engines to determine "mileage". In other words is there the same kind of relationship between vacuum and fuel usage in a diesel as there is in a gas engine? If so, where would you tap into the vacuum?

The reason I ask is a new experiment in going for even higher miles per gallon with my 300Tdi than the 28mpg I'm currently getting. I recently bought a Honda Insight hybrid as a commuter car and am getting around 60mpg out of it. The interesting thing about driving the Honda is how much I'm learning about the world of "hypermiling"...there are websites devoted to getting incredible mileage out of rather ordinary cars not just hybrids...like 50mpg out of a Saturn sedan for example. Anyhow, it struck me that some of this rather geeky knowledge I've been discovering could be ported to our trucks. The "pulse and glide" driving technique, higher tire pressures, and so on...
anyway, if you know about this vacuum gauge thing, I'd be interested to hear.

Old July 25th, 2007, 06:11 PM
jim pendleton
You could lower your D90 to get the hiper mileage.

Saabs run a vacuum/boost gauge on their Turbocharged vehicles. Very rarely does it go into the vacuum though. I do not think this will help your efforts for more mileage.

legend in my own mind

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old July 25th, 2007, 09:15 PM

Just remove that pesky turbo thingamajiggie and you too can have manifold vacuum.
Old July 25th, 2007, 10:30 PM
mark kellgren
93' NAS 110- #234
Put a food processor on your Delorian and then connect it to the flux capacitor...oh, never mind, wrong forum.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

ac, diesel, vacuum