Hydroboost Brake Conversion. - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old March 7th, 2011, 05:19 PM
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88
Originally Posted by TS888 View Post
Actually, locked brakes will stop you faster. The downside is loss of steering control. ABS trades pure stopping distance for continued steering ability. Before ABS, we learned "threshold braking", which is braking hard enough to *almost* lock the brakes. It's one of those skills that have a high cost of failure; I'm pretty good at it but I still like ABS.

There is NOTHING good about brake fade. Absolutely nothing. Say it again, y'all.

A well designed brake system will be balanced well enough that a proportioning valve is not needed. "Ideal" balance is subjective, but generally speaking, it's safer to have the fronts lock first, as locking the rears can cause a spin. An adjustable proportioning valve will let you vary the front/rear bias to match the load, but you have to do some threshold braking to determine where to set the bias for the present load. This activity tends to make passengers nervous. Weight sensitive proportioning valves are used to allow some bias variation to account for loaded vs. unloaded driving without requiring the driver to adjust anything.
I'd take some fade over a lock up any day. You still have some control and steering input. Lock em up and you are at the mercy of fate and friction. As for locked brakes stopping you faster, that's entirely relative to the environment and the vehicle. In regard to the Defender, I feel the stock brakes are more than adequate if in proper order. However, there are a lot of trucks with extensive suspension and drivetrain mods which can definately cause the oem units to be over taxed as well as changing the cg under braking.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

boost, brake, conversion