Defender Source Forum banner

Hydroboost Brake Conversion.

11K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  kevkon 
#1 ·
How much interest here would there be in a bolt-on hydro-boost brake assist conversion kit? Has anyone here done the conversion and able to offer up some insight into just how much of an improvement it makes? I'm in the process of working with a vendor to come up with a kit, I have both LHD and RHD 200TDI Defenders here and will have a 300TDI one shortly and would be looking for someone with a NAS V8 who would be interested in brakes that feel more like a modern vehicle than a tractor.

My goal is to ship both to the UK and North America to get volumes up enough to bring the costs into a realistic range and it will include a complete bolt-on master and booster assembly plus the hoses to plumb into the power-steering system. A proportioning valve will also likely be included to allow adjustment of front-rear brake bias.

One other thing I've been considering is fitting a remote vac booster to the clutch if there's any interest in having a light clutch pedal out there.

I've love to get feedback on other things to consider, general opinions, etc.

#2 ·
So you've never done the conversion or driven it. Your description of the stock brakes as insufficient leads one to believe that you don't have them set up correctly. Despite all of this, you expect folks to be interested in purchasing a kit from you?

I don't see the need for any upgrade beyond rear discs and vented fronts unless one is running much larger than stock tires, or the vehicle is severely overloaded.

#6 ·
I raised the idea of converting to RRC-style hydro brakes on a few of the UK Defender boards, and got nothing but grief, so I wouldn't look for a flurry of orders from the UK.

Now that I have reversed the effects all the deferred maintenance, I have no complaints about the vacuum assisted brakes in my 300TDi-powered 110. The vacuum pump works fine and is relatively inexpensive if it fails. The 110 brakes are not quite as immediate as the hydro brakes in my RRC, but they're well up to my needs.

I do like my X-Brake much better than the stock drum parking brake.

#9 ·
I just had a Hydroboost failure in my 3/4 Suburban the other day and it made the truck undriveable and the truck had to be towed home. I have had the vacuum fail in a 90 and it was not bad, just had to press the brake peddle a little more. I had though that I might change to hydroboost before but perhaps not after this.

#10 ·
I went to the trouble of installing a hydroboost system in my D90.

I had to send my brake pedal assembly to them to custom set it up so it bolts up to the box. Then had to have custom hoses (hydraulic) made up......thank you Pendy and Bill. There is already a proportioning valve in the truck so no need to duplicate that.....just need to tap into existing brake lines (flare fittings).

I did it to improve braking and also I'm running the 2.8PS and wanted a more powerful alternator so had to get rid of the vacuum generator.

I think it does make a difference but not a huge difference......I would say 30% based on "gutt" feeling.

I drive a friends D90 with V8 and there's no doubt his is a bit "slushier". His brakes are set up well.

I think it's great idea. It IS essentially bolt on but need to make sure your power steering pump is "up to task". Depending on the system it may be a tad longer so it can bump into snorkel setup if you have one.

I say to "do it" as it is really ideal for the 110 or loaded D90's.

#11 ·
Switching from the rubber lines to braided will probably do as much to improve the feel as a Hydroboost.

#13 ·
I used that as example, my d2 is trail truck, so stopping and holding strength is very important. When hydroboost is installed correctly, it improves stopping power and decreases stopping distances, without locking up. I wouldn't use it with a ABS system, so this is a something for older trucks, that are carrying a heavy load, or a truck being set-up as heavy duty off road rig.

#16 ·
yep and I've driven ones with bad brakes...add big tires and all bets are off. I've put hydroboost in three different LR's, 2 D1's and my D2. In each braking improved over 50%. A correctly installed hydroboost system will increased braking power, without lockup.

On a 90/110 with big meats thats loaded to bear, it can make a big difference in stopping power and stopping distance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.