hub rebuild - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 12th, 2015, 02:52 PM
CaptMidnite
Daniel Choi
94 NAS Defender 90 ST

hub rebuild

Rebuilding the front hubs, need some tips on adjusting setting the end play.

Do I need bracket R0530106 (and a dial indicator) to measure it, or is there a generic setup that'll do the job. Recommendations? Looking for a home mechanic quality/price tool.

Anyone get away with just adjusting by hand (erring on the side of loose not tight) and re-assembling the hub?

I did some research and many seem to do it by "feel": Tightening Lock Nuts on Wheel Bearings

I'm leaning more towards following the manual step by step.

edit: Harbor Freight seems to have a clamp-on dial indicator for $35 that may do the job . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 12th, 2015, 03:58 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Do it by feel.

Everybody does it that way.

watch him do it

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old April 12th, 2015, 04:43 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The later manuals actually use a small preload and no end float, which is a better method. Just read the later manual and follow it.... Same as every other car in the universe.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 12th, 2015, 06:25 PM
CaptMidnite
Daniel Choi
94 NAS Defender 90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Just read the later manual and follow it.... Same as every other car in the universe.
True, I'm a big stickler for following the factory manual and procedures. But often with older cars sometimes the collective wisdom of long term owners develops a slightly different procedure for doing things that may save a lot of money or time, or just make better sense.

For example, the LR manuals don't mention upgrading the oil cooler lines on the NAS V8's , but everyone does it.

Or, the early 2000s Porsches had a notoriously weak IMS bearing, which led to aftermarket fixes not officially endorsed by Porsche. (Google "Porsche IMS bearing failure")

Me personally I try to follow factory specs and procedures but just presenting the other side of the coin.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
rebuild