Hub Help - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 28th, 2016, 07:11 AM
Parrie
Parrie Willette
1989 D90 P/U

Hub Help

In the process of replacing swivel balls on my '89 ROW Ninety and discovered one of the hubs was pooched so I ordered-up a new one from Trevor at Rovahfarm. Went to install last night but when I opened the package I noticed the new hub is slightly different from the old hub in several ways. In addition to the obvious different exterior shape...the old hub is about 1/8" shorter than the new hub...the wheel mating surface on old hub is about 1/8" shorter than the new hub...both the inner and outer bearing race shoulder/stop on the inside of the old hub is recessed about 1/8" less than the new hub. The only dimension that is the same is the distance between the inner & outer race shoulders/stops. I purchased the hub as an ROW fit so scratching my head...are the NAS hubs different from ROW hubs?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160927_171505161_HDR.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	158568   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160927_171520407_HDR.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	158569  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 28th, 2016, 07:49 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

The TD5 hub uses a different set of set washers and locking nut. This might be the issue.
Old September 28th, 2016, 09:28 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
earlier hubs stuck out quite a bit further than the later ones. This is whay you have to run spacers to use alloys on early trucks

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 28th, 2016, 09:31 AM
DocB
David
1989 D110

I don't know anything about this, but I'm curious to know if they work out! I'm about to replace mine on the front axle also
Old September 28th, 2016, 09:40 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

They are. The difference is ABS era non-ABS. Cut off is 94ish and up on defenders.
Old September 28th, 2016, 09:44 AM
Parrie
Parrie Willette
1989 D90 P/U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
earlier hubs stuck out quite a bit further than the later ones. This is whay you have to run spacers to use alloys on early trucks
And this is what is confusing...my "old" hubs are actually shorter than the new hub. My main concern is if there is a difference of bearing location inside the hub...I'm afraid that there is enough difference that the inner side of the hub may contact the flange of the spindle.

I'm in contact w/ RN and they tell me that there are different hubs available based on the year of vehicle and axle code. Of course my axle code numbers are no longer visible. Waiting for a response from RN.
Old September 28th, 2016, 09:55 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
stub shafts from swivel are correspondingly longer for the early type hubs. You cant mix and match. Sounds like your front axle may have been swapped for a later one. This was done quite a bit to upgrade the early 10 spline axle shafts to the later 24 splined ones. Are your front radius arms the later wider style ones ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

Old September 28th, 2016, 11:05 AM
Parrie
Parrie Willette
1989 D90 P/U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
stub shafts from swivel are correspondingly longer for the early type hubs. You cant mix and match. Sounds like your front axle may have been swapped for a later one. This was done quite a bit to upgrade the early 10 spline axle shafts to the later 24 splined ones. Are your front radius arms the later wider style ones ?
Based on all the manuals that I have the axles, swivels, stub axles and hubs are correct for the truck. The stub axles are the early type w/ the bronze bush and my older hubs fit correctly. I do not have a set of front radius arms to compare but no, I do not believe they are the wider style.

Based on RNs site there are two different hubs available a RNE228 ($290) that are specified for defenders, D1s and RRs then there are PLE228 ($139) that are specified for 90/110. The new hub I ordrered from Trevor matches RN's RNE228...Trevor does not list the other hub. No one has responded from RN yet but I believe the RNE228 hubs are for trucks w/ ABS which could be my problem.
Old September 28th, 2016, 11:08 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Explain a bit better what dimensions are different. I'm sure it is perfectly fine.

There are only two hubs, early and late with the change in 1994 for Defenders. You obviously have the early one. Just because there is a slight difference in the new versus old probably means nothing other than it is from a different manufacturer.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old September 28th, 2016, 02:19 PM
Parrie
Parrie Willette
1989 D90 P/U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Explain a bit better what dimensions are different. I'm sure it is perfectly fine.

There are only two hubs, early and late with the change in 1994 for Defenders. You obviously have the early one. Just because there is a slight difference in the new versus old probably means nothing other than it is from a different manufacturer.
Ah, an answer to my initial question...there ARE different hubs. The hub that I ordered was supposedly early style for ROW...I'll have to check if I was sent the wrong part.

I was thinking the same...may be just be a slight variation but 1/8" difference seems to be too far out of tolerance. Easy to see the difference...hard to explain. If I set both hubs (studs up) on a flat surface the new hub is about +1/8" taller through the hub (face to face). The wheel mating surface is also 1/8" higher. If I measure from the face of the hub into the shoulder that stops the bearing race (both inner & outer) the new hub bearing race shoulder is 1/8" deeper. The only dimension that matches is the bearing race shoulder to bearing race shoulder dimension so the bearings should be in the same relative position on the stub axle but I'm concerned that the 1/8" depth difference could be an issue either contacting the stub axle (inner) or cause possibly an axle circ clip/drive flange issue.
Old September 28th, 2016, 02:32 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The bearing to bearing distance is what got smaller with the later hubs. The change was LARGE. i.e. not in the range of what you are talking about. The change was in the 1994 model year, long after any importable USA truck.

It sounds like the rear of the hub is sticking out 1/8" more. It should not matter. Measurement from the front drive member flange surface in are what are important to the bearing seating surfaces.

Old September 29th, 2016, 06:27 AM
Parrie
Parrie Willette
1989 D90 P/U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
The bearing to bearing distance is what got smaller with the later hubs. The change was LARGE. i.e. not in the range of what you are talking about. The change was in the 1994 model year, long after any importable USA truck.

It sounds like the rear of the hub is sticking out 1/8" more. It should not matter. Measurement from the front drive member flange surface in are what are important to the bearing seating surfaces.
Took a closer look at the hubs last night...the new hub is .19" longer through the hub. The bearing race shoulder depth from the drive flange mating surface (front of hub) inward is the same as the old hub which I thought would make everything OK but when I did a dry run the back of the hub contacted the stub axle flange...the .19" difference apparently is all on inward side of the hub...dam. RN doesn't list the old style hub on the website but they were able to come up w/ a part number...got one coming. Thanks for the input guys.
Old September 29th, 2016, 07:15 AM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrie View Post
Took a closer look at the hubs last night...the new hub is .19" longer through the hub. The bearing race shoulder depth from the drive flange mating surface (front of hub) inward is the same as the old hub which I thought would make everything OK but when I did a dry run the back of the hub contacted the stub axle flange...the .19" difference apparently is all on inward side of the hub...dam. RN doesn't list the old style hub on the website but they were able to come up w/ a part number...got one coming. Thanks for the input guys.
If it's OK with RN, it might be useful to post the part number for the old style hub for future reference.
Old September 29th, 2016, 07:25 AM
Parrie
Parrie Willette
1989 D90 P/U

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostChord View Post
If it's OK with RN, it might be useful to post the part number for the old style hub for future reference.
I'm sure RN won't mind...the genuine part is RNE194...proline part is PLE194.
Old September 29th, 2016, 08:14 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

The old hub looks like FRC6139 Hub to KA930455 (to 93) Plenty of sites where you plug in your year and vin to get the correct part. The early trucks 83/84 had a deeper hub than the late eighties. I think the hubs changed again for the trucks with ABS.
Old September 29th, 2016, 08:52 AM
Parrie
Parrie Willette
1989 D90 P/U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Milks View Post
The old hub looks like FRC6139 Hub to KA930455 (to 93) Plenty of sites where you plug in your year and vin to get the correct part. The early trucks 83/84 had a deeper hub than the late eighties. I think the hubs changed again for the trucks with ABS.
One would think it would be that easy to punch in year and vin to get correct part but not so in this case...the incorrect hub that I received was supposedly good for my year and up to my vin. I just researched your part number suggestion FRC6139...one site says it fits Defender 110 from 93 on, another site says it fits RRC! Based on everything I've researched in the past couple of days there are only two styles of hubs...early & late...who knows for sure?
Old September 29th, 2016, 08:53 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Perhaps our friend Zack can investigate and clarify where and what change may have happened. If there was a change before 1986, it is hard to find as all the parts catalogues are from 1986 forward.

Old September 29th, 2016, 12:05 PM
Parrie
Parrie Willette
1989 D90 P/U

So I did a bit more research...seems as though there are 3 different hub styles. Picture is the FRC6139 and does not resemble either my old hub or the new one...the drive flange mating surface is way too short.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FRC6139.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	158701  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions