HS 2.8L TGV Cooling System Inline "Valve" - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 7th, 2008, 03:21 AM
DesertRat
Bryan Barnes
95 D90 2.8TGV

HS 2.8L TGV Cooling System Inline "Valve"

I'm hoping some of you guys out there with the 2.8L or the 300TDi may know the answer to my question.
In the cooling system, inline between the thermostat housing, the expansion tank, and the radiator there's
a little 3 way connector. It's kinda cone shaped on one side and flat on the other. Mine was leaking a little bit so I was trying to take it off to see if I could epoxy it to stop the leak. Of course, I broke off one of the hose barbs and instead of trying to find a replacement I wondered if I can just make a 3 way connector with pipe fittings and hose barbs, or if there is something special about the original? In the parts catalog they call it the venturi.
Any input, including the function of this little widget, would be appreciated.

Thanks
Bryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 24th, 2008, 07:53 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Bryan - What did you end up doing with this part?

Mine started leaking a few weeks ago. So I took it off, and cut it apart to see what was inside. Answer is - nothing. The ports for the lines from the thermostat housing and radiator are tapered so there is some venturi effect. But other than that, I didn't see anything special about it. I didn't like the idea of having another possible failure from a bonded plastic part so I replaced it with a brass Tee. I haven't noticed any difference in operation.
Old November 2nd, 2008, 01:19 AM
DesertRat
Bryan Barnes
95 D90 2.8TGV

Hello Ryan,

I did what you did for a couple of weeks...a brass T and some hose barbs. Didn't notice
any difference at all in the temperature. I was ordering some other stuff from George
at Rovers Down South and I asked him about that part mainly out of curiosity. Believe
it or not he had them in stock, so I figured why not? Think it was about 30 bucks and included
all the hoses already attached. Part number is PCH117840.

Good luck
Bryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 3rd, 2008, 12:12 AM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Bryan - Thanks for the info. I thought about ordering a replacement, but I just didn't want that little piece of plastic to fail again. In reading through some of the Tdi forums, it seems to be a fairly common problem. I wonder if they provide it with the hoses because they know how easy it is to break it while installing the hoses.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions