HS 2.8 TGV Alternator/Tach ?? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 29th, 2009, 12:54 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

HS 2.8 TGV Alternator/Tach ??

Anyone know how many "pulses" per rev the alternator gives for the tach??

I'm assuming the tach gets its signal from the alternator on the 2.8?? Does it have a "W" post like other engines??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 29th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

i don't really know, but it is reasonable to say that it sends the same number of pulses as the NAS Discovery 4.0liter V-8's alternator. I say this because when I installed this engine into my discovery, the only reason my tach reads 20% lower than it should with the TGV is due to this: the alternator's turns per engine crank shaft revolution is less, as per M&D. Now we just have to figure out how many pulses the NAS shoots out.
Old March 29th, 2009, 09:52 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

The alternator is essentially a voltmeter which converts the information into RPM's.

You have to know the crank pulley to alternator pulley ratio and then you need to know how many "poles" the alternator has in a revolution......then you can figure the pulse rate, ie pulses generated per turn of the crank.

I know none of this!?!?!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, alternator