HS 2.8 L Problem - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 23rd, 2007, 10:55 AM
fbhd
Grant Patitz
Series 3 Stage 1

HS 2.8 L Problem

Hi Guys, I have a 2.8 that I just installed in my Series 3 Stage 1. I have just a bit over 400 miles on it when I noticed a oil leak (more than a few drips). It appears to be coming out of a threaded hole between the front of the oil pan and behind the crank pulley. I believe this hole to be a drain for the timing belt cover. Thou it is threaded I assume it is still a drain. Is this true? Could the problem be a bad front Main Seal? If so, any one know if they are a common seal that can be sourced at the local auto parts store? ( ie.Timmken) How about the replacement process, is opening up the timing cover a straight forward project? Unfortunately the service manual that I down loaded hasnít been much help. Thanks in advance for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 23rd, 2007, 11:18 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
can you post a pic of the hole (well lit) and I'll take a look at mine to confirm you are not missing a bolt.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 11:59 AM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

Hs2.8l

This is the timing cover breather as per M&D. I bought a plug for this, which is needed when wading.

Are you sure the oil is coming out from inside? Sometimes there could be oil running by this hole, leaking from somewhere else, and climbing up this hole. Maybe splashed from leaking transmission oil cooler lines, or from the the seal between the oil sump/crank case interface.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 23rd, 2007, 12:21 PM
fbhd
Grant Patitz
Series 3 Stage 1

Unfortunately my daughter has the camera and is with her friend on vacation. The hole is about a half inch in diameter and is right between the front of the oil pan and the back of the crank pulley on the bottom of the timing belt cover. Pretty easily seen from below looking up! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Follow-up Post:

Follow-up Post:

The oil is defiantly coming from the hole. I put a plug in and drove a few miles then removed the plug and had about a quarter cup of oil drain out!
Old March 23rd, 2007, 12:27 PM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

That is a good amount of oil. I can see your concern. I am the cautious type, and would not run the engine and contact the seller ASAP.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 02:51 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
agreed. that much oil means a bad seal somewhere in there. probably main bearing.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 05:45 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

A 300 tdi workshop manual will walk you through this repair. I think the seal is the same as well. When you get the seal out you can give me a call and I will help you source one Stateside. I'll PM you a phone #

Jim Pendleton

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions