Howling/Whining Diff - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 28th, 2010, 10:20 AM
98 HOO
Josh Smith
1960 Series 2a/D90 Hybrid

Registry
Howling/Whining Diff

A few friends helped me pull my front diff yesterday morning and install a used 3rd member with an ARB. Everything was fine until I got to about 35 miles an hour - then it starts to howl/whine. When you slow down, it will howl/whine even louder when you get to pretty low speeds. Loud on the highway, but quiet if you let off the gas at highway speeds. Kind of sounds like a school bus transmission, or the transfer case when it is in low gear.

I figure this is likely the pinion bearings, or the ring/pinion themselves. Gears looked and felt good prior to install, but I didn't check their pattern. Pinion seal is leaking pretty bad already (only been in a couple hours).

Can I replace the pinion bearing closest to the driveshaft without pulling the third?

Is it a waste of time to try to replace that bearing and the seal first? - Just trying to avoid the several hour process of pulling the third again.

Should I just bite the bullet and start over again tearing it down?

If so, would it be easier to pull the ARB and put it in the Diff that was in the truck (50k miles on it), or should I try to rebuild the existing 3rd?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 28th, 2010, 10:42 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Sounds like the pattern to me.
Old February 28th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
I'm sure there's a way to blame the previous owner but one thing to consider is if the pinion angle is different on your truck than it was on the previous truck it was running in. Which if it came from a coil sprung vehicle it most certainly is. Its annoying, but you should cut your losses. Pull it, and disassemble, check everything out and rebuild it. Maybe even get the ring gear pinned and replace the o-ring in the arb while you are at it. Send it off to a reputable shop might be a good bet too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 28th, 2010, 03:43 PM
98 HOO
Josh Smith

Registry
Should of stated in the beginning - it went in my '04 Disco - came out of a RRC. I will do some searching on replacing the o-ring in the ARB. Might get started pulling it this evening.
Thanks for the info.
Old February 28th, 2010, 08:04 PM
98 HOO
Josh Smith

Registry
I bit the bullet and pulled the third member again. I am going to take it to a shop in the morning with the stock third as well. I am going to ask them if it is cheaper to fix the third the locker is currently in, or to pull the locker and install it in the stock third that came with the truck.

We'll see - I'll report back. Thanks again for the feedback.
Old March 4th, 2010, 01:32 PM
MRROVER
AL RUSSELL
97' D-90

I have a 93' 110 and had same problem.I took to drive line shop and had the pattern , backlash , preload checked and replaced input bearing. lots better only have some noise in t -case which I think is tipical of land rover. tell shop the rear end is basicly a dana 60 other than input bearing and seal (I was told)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions