How would you paint your undercarriage? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 12th, 2015, 05:59 AM
alecbeard
Alec Beard
1972 Series III

How would you paint your undercarriage?

I don't have a lift. The cheapest option is drive each end on ramps and just paint what I can get to. I imagine there will be some places I can't access. Has anyone done this?

Are there other options? If I took it to a shop, how would that go and what would it cost?

Obviously taking the body off is the solution but I'm not sure I can handle that right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 12th, 2015, 06:55 AM
rovertek
chris
D130, 2001+99 p38

A good powerwash /steam clean, little wire brushing Waxoyol it and call it done
Old June 12th, 2015, 10:57 AM
pitchrollyaw
wayne p
1985 d90 2.5NA

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertek View Post
A good powerwash /steam clean, little wire brushing Waxoyol it and call it done

I did this, except with some Corroseal and chassis paint in between. Bit time consuming when done right...
..tolerant Wife...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 12th, 2015, 11:10 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
clean it really well, a generous application of ospho then rustoleum por 15 whatever then waxoyl
Old June 12th, 2015, 11:12 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Dinitrol black

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old June 12th, 2015, 11:35 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I vote for dry-ice blast followed by waxoyl/dinitrol/Wurth/your favorite waxy underbody coating. No foamy stuff. POR15, Rustoleum, paint optional. Before waxy coating of course.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old June 12th, 2015, 01:03 PM
DefenderMd
Ben
87 defender 110 3 door

Registry
Taking off most of the body is a snap. Front clip is a couple hours, main body not much either. But there's also a lot of clearance otherwsie. Front clip removal really makes it easy.. but hey, isn't that part soaked in oil anyway?

I removed all body but the firewall/bulkhead ... wire wheel and por-15. Por 15 is a good paint and durable. But if painted over clean or painted metal doesn't adhere well/at all. Comes off like strips of tape first time you pressure wash an edge. No reason or benefit from waxoyliong AND painting at all. Waxoyl will, at most, soften your paint. If your paint fails.. it takes the waxoyl with it. Why? I understand waxoyl, i've used waxoyl, I no longer use waxoyl. I know better than to badmouth it on a british car forum. Waxoyl and their followers would have me executed.

Whatever you can do to the inside. Spray some ospho with a wand sprayer would do well. make sure your drains are clear at all times. Ospho is good, finish stores have better stuff.. but its more like $60 a litre.

If you want to waxoyl.. follow rovertek's instructions. Make your own waxoyl. It is simple as mixing a drink. If you plan on keeping the vehicle for a long time and paying for application annually or so... buy a galvanized frame.
Old June 12th, 2015, 02:16 PM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
DINITROL.

DINITROL RUSTPROOFING KIT - LARGE CAR | Rejel Store | Supplier to the Automotive Industry

I am looking into bringing a couple kits from the UK.

If you are going to do the underside of your Rover, this is as good as it gets. It's superior to Waxol. (think of it as Waxol being old technology) You need to get it properly cleaned, you can do the application on axle stands. Watch the video.

https://youtu.be/dDl6CDjW0KI

If there's enough interest, I'll bring in more and offer them up for anyone who is interested. Shipping form the UK on aerosol and chemicals isn't easy, unless you throw it on a boat and don't expect to see it in 3 + months (even then, with the chemical compounds, it's not straight forward). I'm hoping to have all the details worked out in the next few days.
Old June 12th, 2015, 03:55 PM
DefenderMd
Ben
87 defender 110 3 door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN38 View Post
DINITROL.

(think of it as Waxol being old technology)
does that take any thought? Its been in use for at least a couple thousand years.
Old June 12th, 2015, 03:59 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Waxoyl is easy. I have done about 6 trucks. Follow the advice from Rovers North. If you go this route make sure you have a bottle of veggie oil for clean up.
Old June 12th, 2015, 04:03 PM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
It's the chemical make up of the products. Give it time, and something will surpass what works best today.

"better living through chemical engineering"
Old June 12th, 2015, 04:22 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
Waxoyl is easy. I have done about 6 trucks. Follow the advice from Rovers North. If you go this route make sure you have a bottle of veggie oil for clean up.
how long does a 110 take to do? from prep to hand washing ?
Old June 12th, 2015, 04:33 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naplm00 View Post
how long does a 110 take to do? from prep to hand washing ?
they way I do it it takes about 45 minutes of pressure washing on a Friday night. Park on ramps and blow out the chassis with leaf blower and pressured air. I tape everything with paper and tape (about 1 hour) on Saturday. It takes about 2 hours to spray with set up and clean up taking the majority of the time. If you want me to do it PM me or just come get my guns and do it yourself.
Old June 12th, 2015, 04:39 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Quote:
they way I do it it takes about 45 minutes of pressure washing on a Friday night. Park on ramps and blow out the chassis with leaf blower and pressured air. I tape everything with paper and tape (about 1 hour) on Saturday. It takes about 2 hours to spray with set up and clean up taking the majority of the time. If you want me to do it PM me or just come get my guns and do it yourself.
I may take you up on that, i need to pressure wash mine so bad then paint, then oil it up
Old June 12th, 2015, 10:12 PM
EnduroPro
Stephen LeBlanc
1994 Defender 90

Has anyone done the steaming step as suggested in the video?
Old June 12th, 2015, 10:19 PM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
Underside steam clean was actually done to mine before it was imported from Germany last year. (Federal requirement that the underside has to be steam cleaned and completely clean of all dirt and debris.) Amazing how much surface rust and peeling paint hides under the dirt and grime, mostly only light surface rust though.
Old June 12th, 2015, 10:21 PM
EnduroPro
Stephen LeBlanc
1994 Defender 90

Quote:
DINITROL.

If there's enough interest, I'll bring in more and offer them up for anyone who is interested. .

Yes please. Very interested.
Old June 12th, 2015, 10:55 PM
alecbeard
Alec Beard
1972 Series III

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefenderMd View Post
Taking off most of the body is a snap.

I would like to take the body off and do it right but I'm scared. You give me hope.
Old June 12th, 2015, 11:08 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Quote:
Yes.
Old June 13th, 2015, 04:35 AM
Blake
Blake
1997 90 Wolf

Quote:
DINITROL.

DINITROL RUSTPROOFING KIT - LARGE CAR | Rejel Store | Supplier to the Automotive Industry

I am looking into bringing a couple kits from the UK.

If you are going to do the underside of your Rover, this is as good as it gets. It's superior to Waxol. (think of it as Waxol being old technology) You need to get it properly cleaned, you can do the application on axle stands. Watch the video.

https://youtu.be/dDl6CDjW0KI

If there's enough interest, I'll bring in more and offer them up for anyone who is interested. Shipping form the UK on aerosol and chemicals isn't easy, unless you throw it on a boat and don't expect to see it in 3 + months (even then, with the chemical compounds, it's not straight forward). I'm hoping to have all the details worked out in the next few days.
Count me in, sent you a pm.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
paint